March 28, 2024, 07:53:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synchrotron Xray help  (Read 5076 times)

Offline kingpharaoh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synchrotron Xray help
« on: April 19, 2014, 04:25:21 AM »
Hello all!

I find myself struggling to understand some questions relating to synchrotron xray diffraction. The first question goes as follows:

What are the advantages of using relatively high energy X-rays (λ=0.5Å) as available at the synchrotron over using a conventional Cu X-ray source (λ=1.5406Å)?

The only advantages that I know of include:
(1) Gives a higher resolution due to synchrotron being orders of magnitudes brighter than other conventional sources which leads to do quick experiments even on small samples.
(2) It has a longer spectrum ranging from infrared to hard x-rays.

But I feel like my answers are not quite enough to answer the question yet.

Second question goes as follows:

Why is the intensity of the high angle diffraction peaks so much greater in the pattern measured at 100 K than in that measured at 300 K?

A very similar pattern can be seen here: http://www.intechopen.com/source/html/18055/media/image31.png
Just replace 67K by 100K.

Unfortunately for this question, I have absolutely no valid reasoning to give on how this works. So I would really really need help on this one.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question and I hope you can share with me some insight on how I can go on with answering the question!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Synchrotron Xray help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
I think your answer to question 1 is a combination of two ideas.  One is that the higher intensity of the beam leads to shorter experiment times.  But the question of differences in wavelength is a separate issue IMO.  I think resolution might be on the right track, but I am not a professional crystallographer.

Sponsored Links