April 24, 2024, 07:04:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH change  (Read 3083 times)

Offline tamubsa

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
pH change
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
The question is will the pH increase, decrease, or stay the same when you add solid ammonium chloride to 75 mL of 0.016 M HCl? The answer is that it will decrease. I understand that ammonium chloride is an acidic salt, and I think that is why the pH will decrease, but why wouldn't the chloride reduce the dissociation of HCl (common ion effect) and therefore increase the pH?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: pH change
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:47:06 AM »
HCl is so strong you can safely ignore common acid effect. Especially in solutions so dilute.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Re: pH change
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
It's a battle between the basic action of the added Cl- (Cl- + H2::equil:: HCl + OH-) and the acidic action of the added NH4+ (NH4+  ::equil:: H+ + NH3). The equilibrium constant for the first reaction is Kw/Ka(HCl) which is going to be tiny; the equilibrium constant for the second reaction is Kw/Kb(NH3) which is pretty small, about 6*10-10, but many orders of magnitude larger than the equilibrium constant for the first. So acidic action outweighs basic action and the [H+] increases so pH drops.

(Room temperature = 25°C assumed  :D )

Sponsored Links