April 20, 2024, 08:18:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fluid artist looking for advice on combining liquids/chemicals.  (Read 8909 times)

DavidMunroeArt

Re: Fluid artist looking for advice on combining liquids/chemicals.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
I am still searching for an answer for you, but currently have limited time here.
Will try to get back to you on this later.

No problem, your help means a lot to me and i appreciate that your busy so please take your time. thanks again

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
I work with glazes that flow in different ways when I do pottery and the interactive chemistry influences that feature. However, several other factors also have influence that are not controllable such as exact temperature for each piece. So my experience in making thing flow is limited. 

As for the chemists here, it is likely that they can give you some ideas, but you would have to do the experimenting.

So here are some ideas from a general point of view
If you are working with oil paints, surfactants will likely have an effect on them
I think that Borax as you mentioned has some of those properties plus more.
I could see you using a surfactant and spinning your canvas to get an effect.

You might look up emulsifiers and combine water with oil using them.

I suggested ed the ferrofluid because it might be able to be made with oil paint and magnetic material. Then you could use the movement of magnets to create a pattern.

I was thinking of how dropping paint onto a canvas surface would look if you soaked the canvas in an non polar solvent.

=================
Now here is the rub
how are you going to cure the painting after the flowing is done, so that it will have some durability to it. I suppose you could take photos of it and use that as the art.

--------------------------------
Just some starting thoughts.
But you will have to do some leg work
For instance I mentioned non polar solvents
You will have to WIKI and GOOGLE to figure out which might be best.

============================

your
Detailed Original Blue Fluid Painting inspired by water
was interesting to me as well as your other fluid pieces

DavidMunroeArt

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 07:43:26 AM »
Thats awesome. So much to look into and experiment with. Thank you

This must have taken you some time and i know you are busy with your own commitments, so thank you for taking the time to help me out. Im really interested in your suggestion of Surfactants and Emulsifiers and will look into them now as well as they other materials suggested

Thanks again, Ill let you know what i come up with and maybe some images of my work from what weve discussed.

David :)

Sponsored Links