March 28, 2024, 10:27:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: adding Mg to ZnSO4, some bubbles evolved  (Read 34200 times)

msandra

adding Mg to ZnSO4, some bubbles evolved
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:04:46 PM »
During the experiment of adding Mg to ZnSO4,  i obersved a black layer formed on surface of mg metal. In addition, there are bubbles evolved.

after I wrote the equation for the reaction, Mg (s) + ZnSO4 (aq) --> MgSO4 (aq) + Zn (s) , there is no gas .

Can anyone tell me what kind of gas it is or I have done something wrong during the experiment?

thanks.

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Re:adding Mg to ZnSO4, some bubbles evolved
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 02:15:21 AM »
Had you rubbed the Mg surface before adding it to ZnSO4?

msandra

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 10:52:45 AM »
yes. I had clean the surface with sand paper in advance . however we left it for a few minutes before perform the expirment.

did it affect the whole expirment and resulted in releasing gas?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 02:06:21 PM »
Could it be Mg + H2O => MgO + H2 ?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

msandra

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 04:45:04 PM »
Oh yeah. I think this is a possible reason becuase mg reacts vigarously with water.
thanks.

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 04:57:28 PM »
You mnentioned a black layer, how can it be MgO, as MgO is a white powder? Is it possible some sort of sulfide was formed, I can't say though as I have nevr seen any sulfides of any alkali/alkaline earth metal except sodium.

msandra

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 05:53:24 PM »
Oh i didn't notice there are white power because the black pwd is more obvious.
I am careless because I didn't observe the mg metal aagain after pour off  the solution. So I don't know if there is any white power.

But is it possible that, 2 reaction took place?

Mg + H2O --> MgO + H2 and
Mg + ZnSO4 --> MgSO4 + Zn ?

I really don't know what the gas is .

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 06:01:25 PM »
Oh yeah. I think this is a possible reason becuase mg reacts vigarously with water.
thanks.

At room temperature, Magnesium metal will not react with water.  The only time that Mg reacts with water is when the water is near its boiling point.  At that time magnesium will slowly react with water.  So you are incorrect.  Magnesium does NOT react vigorously with water.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

msandra

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 06:29:42 PM »
oh. thanks your comment.

but how can I explain what the gas is .

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 10:58:08 PM »
I believe that there may have been some contamination in your solutions.  I know that if magnesium metal and silver nitrate are mixed, the addition of water will cause a very vigorous reaction.  Perhaps there was some nitrate contamination the solutions which was causing a mild reaction with the water and Mg.  Or there may have been some acid contamination which would be reacting with the magnesium.  Either way, it seems as if your solutions/containers were not pure/clean.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 05:48:17 AM »
It sounds like a typical displacement reaction to me.And Magnesium as said before isn't very reactive.So was the reaction very vigorous and did it release any heat.Or did you have to add any heat for activation energy?Maybee the bubbles could have been from some of the water evaporating.If not I would probably say that the bubbles would have been due to some type of contamination.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 05:51:18 AM by chemicalLindsay »

msandra

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 03:49:07 PM »
will the gas be SO2 or SO3 gas?

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 04:16:47 PM »
If it was SO3 things would have got  rather exothermic to say the least, SO3 has to be dissolved in H2SO4 for the production of H2SO7 (oleum), if its dissolved in water things get violent and from what I have heard large abounts of sulfuric acid take flying lessons ;D

If you find out it IS, let me know, I could use a decent way to make SO3 ;D

Sponsored Links