April 29, 2024, 10:27:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermodynamics, Gas equilibrium composition and equilibrium constant problem.  (Read 1401 times)

Offline JugemuJugemu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Haber - Bosch Process reaction.

In this question the reactants (Nitrogen and Hydrogen) are flowing into a reactor at their correct 1 mol (N2) to 3 mol (H2) composition ratio. We are given the mol fraction of NH3 coming out of the reactor.
From previous questions I already have calculated the equilibrium constant (K0) at the temperature (constant).
I need to work out the total pressure in the reactor at equilibrium. I am having some trouble working the mol fraction into the whole thing.

Edit: A bit more detail

K0 was originally calculated with the gibbs free energy (calculated earlier). And I can tell I am now supposed to be using the partial pressure equation for K.
I do not have any of the partial pressures. I was assuming I could deduce them for the reactants knowing the ratio of reactants. The pNH3 = XNH3 * total pressure, right? but I am a bit lost from there. At the moment what I can see is that if I have the partial pressure of the product (2NH3) I can find the total pressure easily.

Edit 2: Ok reading more I am going to construct that table of initial moles and mole fractions and partial pressures, except I don't actually know how many moles are going in, only the ratio's of moles of reactant.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:14:30 AM by JugemuJugemu »

Sponsored Links