April 27, 2024, 08:38:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to calculate the product of a thermal decomposition  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Kylle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to calculate the product of a thermal decomposition
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:31 AM »
Hallo chemical forums

i have a question :
how do i calculate the product of a thermal decomposition,
so if i have something like Natriumhydrogencarbonate ( Soda ) and heat it up
how can i then calculate the product of the decomposition ?

i have tried to google it but with no luck, help whould be much appriciated  ;)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to calculate the product of a thermal decomposition
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
There is no simple way to determine the products of an arbitrary chemical reaction.  There are some general rules to memorize, and some typical classical experiments to use, but its going to be difficult, not matter what.  And I just wanted to be sure you knew that.

Now, the thermal decomposition of NaHCO3 is actually pretty well known, and many references should exist for the reaction.  If you really want to figure it out for yourself -- can you try to guess what products are possible?  Its a good way to learn, even if you guess wrong at first.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Natriumhydrogencarbonate is not soda. Soda is sodiumcarbonate. The hydrogencarbonate is sometimes called Natron.

The decomposition startes first to release water. Try to get the equation for it.

Offline Kylle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
There is no simple way to determine the products of an arbitrary chemical reaction.  There are some general rules to memorize, and some typical classical experiments to use, but its going to be difficult, not matter what.  And I just wanted to be sure you knew that.

Now, the thermal decomposition of NaHCO3 is actually pretty well known, and many references should exist for the reaction.  If you really want to figure it out for yourself -- can you try to guess what products are possible?  Its a good way to learn, even if you guess wrong at first.

i know its not easy, and guessing is a good way, but if there is a way to calculate it then it whould be for me helpfull, or a way to see if your guess is wrong

to explain what i want short and simple its this,
is there a way to calculatethe thermal decomposition of soda without doing an experiment.

if you know a link or a book that cloud explain some of it, it whould be great

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »
Again, what do you think it could decompose into?  What is its chemical formula?  Write it down, here.  (Use our symbols above to get the subscripts.)  What other compound formulas do you know, and can you see within your formula, and what will be lwft when you see them released?

As for a book or link, such a book or link would essentially teach you all of several years of high school and college chemistry.  So there's no one book or link explaining some of it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links