April 16, 2024, 05:17:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic solubility  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Organic solubility
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
This question has been nagging for me a while. I have only ever seen Ksp applied to dissolution of ionic solids. What about organic substances? What is our equilibrium measure for their dissolution?

I mean, if we wanted to write a Ksp equation it could just be of the form, e.g. ethanol (s)  ::equil:: ethanol (aq) i.e. Ksp≥[ethanol (aq)], with equality Ksp=[ethanol (aq)] when the solution is saturated with respect to ethanol.

Offline Big-Daddy

Re: Organic solubility
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
Edit: I suppose maybe for ethanol it would be ethanol (l)  ::equil:: ethanol (aq)? Depends on whether Ksp is defined as from standard state to dissolved in solution, or from solid crystal to dissolved in solution (seems hard to tell, because the standard state of everything for which we seem to use Ksp, is a solid crystal).

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »
Since in this case there is no dissociation that needs to be worried about, it's just simpler to deal with more standard formulations for the thermodynamics (enthalpy, entropy) of mixing. I suppose you could still use a Ksp formalism if you wanted to, but I wouldn't see much point to it.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
Since in this case there is no dissociation that needs to be worried about, it's just simpler to deal with more standard formulations for the thermodynamics (enthalpy, entropy) of mixing. I suppose you could still use a Ksp formalism if you wanted to, but I wouldn't see much point to it.

Ah... but then I'm thinking the maths would be a bit odd when it comes to concentrations/activities? How would we try to define the equilibrium constant for the mixing process at all (there must be an equilibrium constant I assume - otherwise you could get infinite amounts of an organic liquid into water)? Something like K = ethanol (l)  ::equil:: ethanol (aq) now seems a bit odd given that, in mixing, we essentially are "dissolving" some water in ethanol too, no?

Sponsored Links