March 28, 2024, 03:54:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need assistance with glass diffusion coating  (Read 6783 times)

Offline chbue070780

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need assistance with glass diffusion coating
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:03 AM »
I'm in need of a clear binder and additives that would adhere well to a glass substrate without etching - preferably water based and air curing. SiO2 micro-spheres will be added and the product will be used for window light diffusion.
In search of a coating solution for forming a light diffusion layer on glass substrates (specifically windows).  I’m currently using an acrylic polymer emulsion that is very crude.

I need a base coat formulation that is mostly transparent when dry, is preferably water based, would have good adhesion to glass substrates, cures at room temperature, has good UV light resistance, and does not contain acids or other materials that would etch or damage the glass substrate. The formulation will be used as a glass coating that diffuses light and will contain SiO2 micro-spheres which have already been sourced. The coating will be applied with a sprayer.  I would also like a formulation to use as a clear topcoat as protective finish such as a super-hydrophobic coating perhaps using nano SiO2.

What would be the best binder and additives to achieve this?  I believe that a variation of a Silane additive may play a role in increasing adhesion to glass but leave that to your judgment.  I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Offline chbue070780

Re: Books on the subject of materials and nanochemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
For some reason I can't send messages or reply really just need help with an appropriate binder, but the link is here:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=74719.0

I'm in need of a clear binder and additives that would adhere well to a glass substrate without etching - preferably water based and air curing. SiO2 micro-spheres will be added with the final results being a light diffusion coating.

I want a coating solution for forming a light diffusion layer on glass substrates (specifically windows).  I’m currently using an acrylic polymer emulsion that is very crude.  My biggest issue at the moment is that after a few days exposed to sunlight the coating becomes opaque, I need something that will remain translucent.

I need a binder that is mostly transparent when dry, is preferably water based, would have good adhesion to glass substrates, cures at room temperature, has good UV light resistance, and does not contain acids or other materials that would etch or damage the glass substrate. The formulation will be used as a glass coating that diffuses light and will contain SiO2 micro-spheres. Would be used interior and needs to be stable for at least one year.  The coating will be applied with a sprayer. 

I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Need assistance with glass diffusion coating
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »
Can we assume you GOOGLE
glass glue

Offline chbue070780

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »
GOOGLE, hmm, now there's an idea, thank you so much.  lol.  Glue wouldn't work for this application anyways as it does need to have the ability to be removed at a later date so more finesse is required.

I have the formulation I need now anyways, I'm just having issues sourcing the compounds.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »
I'm just having issues sourcing the compounds.
Are you working in a laboratory of an institution?

Offline chbue070780

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
No, this is more of a Steve Jobs scenario, I have a laboratory built in my home and have a business that I've formed related to digital signage applications.  I have a decent setup, I even have a Schold Variable High Speed Disperser.  My chemical studies background is extensive is some areas and full of holes in others, so I learn as I go.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »

Offline chbue070780

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
I found a used one on a government liquidation site, the freight cost were more than the auction fees.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
I assume you want to keep your solution that you have settled on as proprietary.

As am I, who is working on a ceramic / glass project of my own.

But, if you have a good source of ceramic / glass ingredients and you share that information I would be grateful.

Offline chbue070780

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
What sort of glass/ceramics are you looking for?  Particle size, shapes, composition, etc.?  If we're working on the same process then perhaps we should talk.  I'll PM you my #.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:38:45 PM »
Thank you

Sponsored Links