March 28, 2024, 12:44:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Usage of hyphens and "and" in equations or discoveries  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Xenonman

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Usage of hyphens and "and" in equations or discoveries
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
I was told that hyphens were used in between the names of authors or scientists that made a discovery independently or improved independently upon one, like Beer-Lambert law or Stefan–Boltzmann law, while the particle "and" is used in between when the people involved worked together, as in "Watson and Crick discovered the structure of the DNA".

Does anyone know about this? ???

A odd thing happens with the Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky halogenation. Seems like Hell and Volhard worked together, which messes this up.
Honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Usage of hyphens and "and" in equations or discoveries
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
This is kind of an odd question.  The "and" is used in a sentence. The hyphen is used in the name of a law, scientific principle, or well-known chemical/physical process (i.e.,  Haber–Bosch process or Friedel–Crafts reaction).

E.g., Corribus and Archimedes discovered the Third Law of Capacitive Diractance*. It is now called the Corribus-Archimedes Law of Capacitive Diractance.

(True props to anyone who knows where I got that from, without googling it!)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links