March 28, 2024, 08:07:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Same type of chemical but different prices? need opnions. thx  (Read 2491 times)

Offline MikeIns

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello Chemist citizen,

I have a situation to know the quality of chemical that I plan to buy. I have a quote a price a same type chemical which was 100g Silver nitrate from Sigma Aldrich more than 1000 usd  and Silver nitrate from Hudson cost about 450 usd. Why there's a significance different between these chemical price. Is about quality or brand? Because i am planning to save cost. I am just concern about the quality and side effect. Can any one clarify about this?. Thanks. Your opinions I really appreciate.
 ;D

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Same type of chemical but different prices? need opnions. thx
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »
You will have to look carefully at the info they giver you before you buy.  If they say they are the different grades (reagent grade, vs analytical grade vs reference standard) or purity, then you'll have to decide what you really need to spend your money on.  If they're the same, then it becomes complicated.  Some of the bigger outfits, like Sigma, are more expensive.  But, they give better volume discounts to outfits that place bigger orders.  That probably doesn't apply to you.  The smaller outfits charge less, but its not impossible for them to ship poor quality reagents.  At my current job, we have to use the less expensive vendor, and we likewise have to be aggressive with them sometimes -- they may ship us NaOH standard without a seal around the cap, that expires the next month.  Or pH calibration buffer with a precipitate.  Then we have to wait for a credit or replacement.  If that happened at Sigma, they'd address it more quickly.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
@MikeIns

Can you give a link for Hudson
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:43:02 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:01:07 AM »

I have a quote a price a same type chemical which was 100g Silver nitrate from Sigma Aldrich more than 1000 usd  and Silver nitrate from Hudson cost about 450 usd. Why there's a significance different between these chemical price. Is about quality or brand?

Most importantly: What's your end use?

It's like tap water & Perrier are both water but cost differs by orders of magnitude. You  (usually) wouldn't want to water your plants with Perrier.

It's not unheard of to have a 3x price markup on a grade with a slightly better impurity profile. Question is, do you care?

Sponsored Links