April 19, 2024, 03:55:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electro cleaning copper oxide in vinegar+salt.  (Read 23224 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
Re: electro cleaning copper oxide in vinegar+salt.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 06:44:38 AM »
@xchcui
standard power supply 12vdc for electro-cleaning
Could you post make and model etc
When i said"standard power supply 12vdc FOR ELECTRO-CLEANING"i didn't meant special for electro-cleaning.
I mean to the cheap traditional power supply(not SMPS) that you connect to the wall socket while the input is 220vac or 120vac(depend where you are live)and the output is in my case 12vdc and max current of  1A.
So 12vdc is ok for electro cleaning or do i need to use less voltage like 6vdc?

And eazye1334:
Does the conclusion in my previous post is right?

Offline xchcui

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 07:01:18 AM »
Hi billnotgatez.

So what are you saying 12v is ok. or i need to use less voltage(6v maybe?).

Hi eazye1334.

where did you disappeared :(
I would like to end this thread while i can be sure that my conclusion is right.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 02:28:35 AM »
billnotgatez.
 What's up with you,man?
What is the purpose of your questions if you never give me even one answer? ???

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
Hi billnotgatez.

So what are you saying 12v is ok. or i need to use less voltage(6v maybe?).

Hi eazye1334.

where did you disappeared :(
I would like to end this thread while i can be sure that my conclusion is right.
In general, I would probably say yes. Though as I said, I'm not a chemist so it may not be 100% correct. I know about the process and how it all works, but the exact chemistry in electroplating processes can be difficult to determine.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 12:47:27 PM »
Hi easye1334 and thank you for return :)
It is not critical for me to know the exactly process at high level explanation.Knowing that part of the O2 that created  from the hydroxide reaction with the anode stick to the anode and part of it bubbles as gas is good enough for me.
So thanks that you confirmed my conclusion. :)
Best regards.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »
@xchcui

You can ignore all I say after this next paragraph or you can read on.

Based on my failing memory, Internet searching and some reading, I have the feeling that you can get results you are looking for with less than 12 volts (maybe less than 6 volts).   From what I understand if you go too high in voltage you will get side results that may adversely effect you desired outcome.

Now for my discussion --

What's up with you,man?
We are all volunteers here, so I only been on here briefly during the weekend to make sure that my moderation duties would be taken care of properly. Therefore the time to do the research necessary to answer your question was on hold.

Even then I am not sure I can give you a definitive answer. Based on the below links you will notice that there are a number of factors that effect your process. For instance the distance between wire (on one side) and the object (on other side) you have in the process could influence what you might use in voltage. From what I could glean from from my research so far is that the amperage may be a more important measurement.

http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0223_plate/index.html

http://chem1.eng.wayne.edu/~yhuang/Papers/Book_Plating_ECHP.pdf

https://www.glastonburyus.org/staff/BREINANH/APChem/APlabs/Documents/electroplating.ap.student.doc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvYCc8F-8rQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Xo43sfLgY

I was going to read more to see if I could resurrect my memory of electroplating, but decided to pause here for now.

For your part --
I had asked for more detailed information from you and I get answers from you that are  too general.

I am looking for more precise answers from you for 3 reasons.

One, it is possible that someone on this forum who does or teaches electrochemistry may become more involved with participating in the discussion. I do have to admit that if there are members with this expertise, they are not always regulars.

Second, I was thinking of putting together your setup and testing for myself, so as to add to the discussion.

That is why I asked for
 A link on the Internet that you might be using as a guide, since you said you looked around.
   Yet you provided no link that is close to what you are doing.
 The exact recipe' of ingredients you are using in the process.
   Yet your answers were general.
 The equipment you are using for the process.
   Yet I still do not know the make and model of your power supply.
Now if the process you are working on is proprietary, you can contact me off line and I will understand.

Thirdly, IF YOU HAD READ THE FORUM RULES
We are not supposed to just dump an answer on you.
Instead we are supposed to teach you how to get the answer yourself.
So asking questions in a Socratic method is the desired approach.
In this case both you and I would have learned.
By the way, there was an entry that suggested that your process might not need the electric part, but might take longer to see the results. But, we did not take the hint.

As far as the Internet --
I can see where it is difficult to get what you want on this topic.
When I did a search using GOOGLE, using different criteria, I got results that were too general, too conflicting, erroneous or to difficult to access. It took me several tries and many pages to get the few I have above. And, I still am not sure they are entirely accurate.

As a side note --
What we are discussing here, will potentially help me. Currently I am casting sculpture in brass and aluminum. It is possible that i might want to finish some of these sculptures using electrochemistry. For my part, I will be looking for a power supply where I can both measure and control the voltage and amperage.

Finally --
I would like to end this thread
You can not end this thread.
It will live on.
And, hopefully will have additions that will make it useful to the next reader.
Additionally, it may attract another member to participate
who is more experienced
who is more current in the technology
who is more academically involved in electrochemistry.

I hope you will stick around and see where things go.
If I do any of this, I will be sure to post here.
I still have to tool up my laboratory and memory.
In the mean time I am going to probably post something about your ingredients when I have time.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:59:55 PM by billnotgatez »

Offline xchcui

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
Hi billnotgatez.
First of all,thanks for your answer.
I know that you are all volunteers in the forum.This forum is very essential and be blessed all the wonderful members that help people all over the world with there questions.
Before i go and ask questions,i try to find the answer in google,but in my case(and you also realized that)i didn't find an answer,so i try in that forum.
All the other members answered my question and they were practical,but you only asked questions but never gave an answer.I found this behavior strange.
How can i know what is the hidden reasons behind that behavior.
Ok.i understand your side and what was the purpose of your questions and i just now understand,that not all the members who answer to questions are experts
in chemistry.I was absolutely sure that only experts chemist volunteers answer questions and i didn't imagine that you are going to look for an answer to my question in google.
I am very happy that you explained this issue.
Every day we learn something new.

Sponsored Links