May 01, 2024, 06:05:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pridict products of the reaction between Trisodium citrate and Sodium chloride  (Read 5475 times)

Offline muralikkkakollu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can any one Predict the products of these reactants and then balance entire reaction given below,

Below is my tried balanced reaction only,

Na3C6H507 + 9NaCl =  Na2C6H7O7Cl + 8NaCl+Na2O+2H2O

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Why do you think there will be a reaction?

Na2O+2H2O

Is it possible at all to have these between reaction products?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Since you've put NaCl on both sides of your reaction, do you assume the NaCl is some sort of catalyst?  For what, sort of reaction, exactly?  Also, like Borek: said, you're taking two common, stable solids, and assume by mixing them in water, you get a solid that can't exist (you have a disodium citrate -- but two more H, one to replace the Na and another to go -- where?) and something that reacts with water.  If the world worked like that, we would all be in constant danger of an aggressive reaction.  And we're not, generally.  So it won't, logically.  You're really going to have to explain better how you came up with this reaction.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline muralikkkakollu

if you balance this one
Na3C6H507 + 9NaCl =  Na2C6H7O7Cl + H2O,
it will may be helpful

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
The reaction you want to solve is imposible. You have one more hydrogen on the right side so its not balanced and I dont see a way how to do this reaction. You are mixing 2 salts and they just dont react.

This reaction is the closes to Na3C6H5O7 + 9NaCl +2H2O =  Na2C6H7O7Cl
Note that Im just a student but I dont think its possible to make such compound. Or at least not by reacting it with NaCl

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
if you balance this one
Na3C6H507 + 9NaCl =  Na2C6H7O7Cl + H2O,
it will may be helpful

You can write whatever combination of elements you like, and it can be even balanced - it doesn't mean there exists a reaction like that.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy

You don't produce acid chlorides by reacting a salt with NaCl.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Oh yes it was just the visualisation of the equation written by OP. To show that its imposible to do

Offline muralikkkakollu

If we try to make to react NA3C6H7O7.2H2O with NaCl then what shall be the balanced reaction and at what temperatures and pressures shall be ?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
If we try to make to react NA3C6H7O7.2H2O with NaCl then what shall be the balanced reaction and at what temperatures and pressures shall be ?

You were told/suggested that several times - they don't react, so there will be no balanced reaction.

Sponsored Links