April 26, 2024, 04:05:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about the effect of error on subsequent calculated quantities  (Read 1461 times)

Offline whonut

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi

I have been doing a problem set where I have to figure out the number of water molecules in a hydrate. I first had to calculate the Mr of the hydrate from some titration data by the equation Mr=600W/mv and then find the number of water molecules, x by x=(Mr-149.3)/18.02. W is the mass of the hydrate that I used, 0.2g in this case. the question I'm struggling with is this:

'Calculate the effect of a 0.002g weighing error (in W) on a) your value of Mr and b) your value of x. Express your answers as %age uncertainties and explain why the uncertainty in x is greater than that in Mr'.

It looks to me, though, that px=pMr=pW≈1%. The only way I could see them being different is if x was more dependent on W than Mr but I can't see how that's true from the equations. Dividing uW by x and Mr would also obviously do it but that seems nonsensical to me.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I don't make sense. I'll try to clarify anything that I need to.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Have you actually calculated the effect of the weighing error on Mr and x, as it asks? Write out your calculations in full and see if you can spot why the % uncertainty in x is greater than that in Mr. (By the way, what are mv and uw?)

Sponsored Links