May 01, 2024, 11:55:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How stable are resonance stabilized anions?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Zensation

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
How stable are resonance stabilized anions?
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
I know this varies depending on circumstance, but if we have Sodium Hydroxide deprotonating a compound that is 20pka (meaning it doesn't totally deprotonate it), and this is allowed to mix for a while... and then this is poured into a picture with a compound that has a pka of 18, is there a way to measure or estimate how rapidly the initial anion will undo and the hydroxide react with the more acidic one?

I know acid/base reactions are fast, but how does this speed change ones a resonance stabilized anion is formed?

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Re: How stable are resonance stabilized anions?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »
This is an interesting question you pose.  Try reading this, and see if it makes more sense.  While not directly related or mentioned in the article, it is the same principle nearly exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_versus_kinetic_reaction_control

Hope this helps.  If not, let us know and well help more :).  These numbers are standardized by thermodynamic values and properties issued by the government I believe?  Might be hard to get an exact value, but I'm sure somebody on this board knows!
                  -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Sponsored Links