April 20, 2024, 10:05:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analysis of a unknow powder chemical  (Read 2020 times)

Offline muralikkkakollu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Analysis of a unknow powder chemical
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »

What are the analysis/instuments are required to find reactants and products of a given unknown chemical powder ?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Analysis of a unknow powder chemical
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
This question is way too general to get any reasonable answers, sorry.

Especially taking into account your other question, which suggests you know nothing about chemistry.

My first step would be to try to find out if it is an organic, or inorganic substance, and further steps would depend on the initial findings.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
Sorry, but your question doesn't have enough information for a meaningful answer.  There are untold numbers of chemical tests and hundreds of types of instruments.  Your question is also too broad:  you want to analyze reactants?  By themselves?  Then monitor the reaction?  Then analyze the products?  Together?  Or separated first?  And there is only one unknown powder?  So you know the other reactants?  Or it reacts with itself under certain conditions?  As you can see, you've asked too many questions, without asking any at all.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline DoctorDomo

• Mole Snacks: +2/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
Start simple. Solubility tests. If its water soluble, check the pH. Check the meltng point. If it doesn't melt under 300C, then its probably not your typical organic salt, its probably an ionic one. Drop some silver nitrate in there to see if any halides precipitate out. Maybe do a few more old fashioned methods like reacting with acid to see if CO2 forms (which would mean its a carbonate). The kick it up a notch and run TLCs on to gain an idea of whats int there. UV chamber will tell you if it has one or more benzene rings. It'll also give you an idea of solubilities of your isomers. You could try staining a TLC plate with permanganate, anything with a whoe load of easily oxidisable hydroxy groups, will turn brown in front of your giths. After that, I'll run an IR to. Then get as many NMRs that I can.

Sponsored Links