April 28, 2024, 06:11:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Low level mercury standards and stability  (Read 1559 times)

Offline javert

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Low level mercury standards and stability
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:32:29 AM »
Hi everyone.

In our laboratory we measure mercury in water at the μg/L level. So far we have been preparing the calibration standards and QC solutions by consecutive dilutions of a commercial 1 000 mg / L standard solution. The issue is that an overall dilution factor of 10E6 means a lot of dilutions (or few but very big dilutions), and I suspect that is the underlying cause for the discrepancies between calibration standards and QC solutions.

I have been searching for commercial low level mercury standards but the lowest level I can find is 10 mg / L. Knowing that mercury is usually evaluated at μg / L levels or even ng / L levels, it seems odd to me that no one offers standards closer to this levels. Is there a reason for this? Do you know a supplier who offers a commercial solutions at about 100 μg / L?

I'm aware of all the cautions needed to avoid contamination from other sources but, assuming correct clean room practices, is the mercury concentration still unstable at μg/L levels due to intrinsic factors?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Low level mercury standards and stability
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »
From what I remember low concentration solutions tend to lose some of the substances dissolved due to their adsorption on the internal surfaces. That's not a problem for higher concentrations, but when you get down to ppm levels and below, it can't be ignored.

But I have not dealt with these things for almost 30 years so I can be completely wrong.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links