April 27, 2024, 01:47:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Random chemical reactions  (Read 9033 times)

Lois

Random chemical reactions
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
I want to have a program. Description. Randomly mix all chemical elements. If the reaction is in the database it is stored. Further searches are mixed randomly reactions. All the time there is a comparison with a database. If the reaction is in the database, it is stored. I believe that in the end should remain the only substance.What do you think, what is this stuff? Can someone write such a program?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Lois

Re: Random chemical reactions
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=EBAS&right=chemical-reactions

I have a database. But this is not a problem. There has to work constantly pseudorandom number generator. He will choose the desired reaction at random. All is left to chance. It is necessary to write a program.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
OK, after rereading your original post I understand even less than before.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »
Can someone write such a program?

Briefly, no.

I want to have a program. Description. Randomly mix all chemical elements.

I suppose you can justify doing just all the chemical elements, and ignore myriad compounds that also react with each other.  However, this seems impractical at beast and uselessly incomplete at the same time.

If the reaction is in the database it is stored. Further searches are mixed randomly reactions. All the time there is a comparison with a database. If the reaction is in the database, it is stored.

We get a post similar to yours very frequently on the Chemical forums, and it comes up very often in undergraduate university courses.  Someone asks for a computer program to compute all possible chemical reactions and store it in a searchable database.  This idea occurs when students are asked to memorize the rules, or infer permutations of the rules for new situations.  No scientist needs a computer databases of element or simple compound reactions, or a searchable database of basic organic chemistry reactions.  Even if such a database were possible, which it really isn't.
I believe that in the end should remain the only substance.What do you think, what is this stuff?

This bit here is very hard to understand.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Lois

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »

Let me explain. For example, we mix 10 chemical elements. If we mix the 2 elements, we will have 90 responses. For example, there are 20 reactions in the database. Mix the results of these reactions. 1560 will be the reactions (for example). For example, in the database are allowed only three reactions. Mix. Database allowed one reaction. Deduce the reaction printing. This is the purpose of the experiment. Learn what the reaction will be in the end.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
Deduce the reaction printing. This is the purpose of the experiment. Learn what the reaction will be in the end.

Playing along, I'd like to ask you to define this bit more carefully, in addition to the above.  Let's say you have 10 metal elements - Na, K, Ca, Ra, Fe, Cu, Cr, Sn, La, U and 10 non-metals, B, C, O, N, F, I, S, P, Si, Cl.  You've built a database of the reactions of each metal with each non-metal, to keep it simple.  Then what ... you're going to use that database to predict the reaction between the metal Po and the non-metal As?  Or will you do something else?

Lois

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 05:14:14 AM »
I'm not going to predict anything. For example, take H, Cl, Zn.
draw reaction. (Factors to take into account is not necessary)
H+Cl= HCl
H+Zn= ZnH
Cl+Zn=ZnCl
HCl+ZnCl=In the database there is no reaction
HCl+ZnH= In the database there is no reaction
HCl+Zn=ZnCl + H 
Reaction in the database there. My goal has been achieved. I learned what a reaction

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 06:28:44 AM »
Well, this discussion is getting circular, as I don't see the point in such a database.  However, since you do, why don't you build such a database, with whatever simple database manager you have access to?

Lois

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »
It is not a database, it is about what kind of stuff happens when mix any substance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
It is not a database, it is about what kind of stuff happens when mix any substance.

OK, in order to know this, you must learn 2 years of undergraduate university chemistry.  There is no way to communicate these topics to you any faster than that.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »

So it is a database containing information about what happens when you mix the substances, but it is not a database?

Lois

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »

OK, in order to know this, you must learn 2 years of undergraduate university chemistry.  There is no way to communicate these topics to you any faster than that.

You are mistaken. This is a very simple program that is able to write a programmer in one day.

So it is a database containing information about what happens when you mix the substances, but it is not a database?

Under the database I understand permanent base. In the program there is no permanence. Chemical formulas appear and disappear in the computer memory. They are not stored. There is a constant comparison of formulas that are generated randomly with a constant database. If the formula is in the database, it responds more

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 01:04:56 AM »

You are mistaken. This is a very simple program that is able to write a programmer in one day.

So write one & post a link here. We'll be glad to see.

What's stopping you? You think it is simple. Rest of us think it is not. But we may be all idiots. Easiest way to prove that we don't know what we are talking about is to write such a program. Please do.

Instead of one day I'll give you three. I'm checking back here on Wed. to check your program out.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »

We get a post similar to yours very frequently on the Chemical forums, and it comes up very often in undergraduate university courses.  Someone asks for a computer program to compute all possible chemical reactions and store it in a searchable database.  This idea occurs when students are asked to memorize the rules, or infer permutations of the rules for new situations.  No scientist needs a computer databases of element or simple compound reactions, or a searchable database of basic organic chemistry reactions.  Even if such a database were possible, which it really isn't.

@Arkcon:

You are mostly right but I've one pedantic quibble with what you wrote. It is true that right now no such thing exists.

OTOH fundamentally, I see no reason why such a database couldn't be built at some point in the future. Or at least something very close to that.

One approach would be a strict first principles model. But that's a bit too hard for now. A more pragmatic approach might be an empirical look up database: something like Beilstein on steroids. That seems quite possible.

Already there is a bunch of retrosynthesis helper software (I think). e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chematica

To sum, I don't think it's an impossible problem just a very very hard one.

Sponsored Links