April 27, 2024, 08:13:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polymer Gel-Capsules  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Rippon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Polymer Gel-Capsules
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:45:21 AM »
Hi

I once saw a video that showed how gel capsules was being made with: a polymer solution, blue dye & soapy water.

The capsules formed as soon as the droplets hit the soapy water, creating a hard outer shell with a liquid core.

Is there anyone who can help me find out what polymer solution could be used, where to buy & if it's even possible to create such a thing at home. (we have a company that sells chemicals to users at home).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  :)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Polymer Gel-Capsules
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »

Offline Rippon

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
Haha, not really, but thank you for taking the time.  :)

Here is the video I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cNYVjRmSTg

And here is another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcal8c6FfO8

The description of the second video says "Gel capsules are formed by adding drops of viscous polymer solutions to a low-viscosity, oppositely-charged surfactant solution"

So, what are examples of viscous polymer solutions that would work to get the same result?

-Brent

Offline Polytriazole

• Mole Snacks: +8/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »
A really simple one is alginate in water, dropped into a solution of calcium salt in water.  These are used by molecular gastronomists (cooks who use chemistry) to make "caviar".  This system is also non-toxic and edible, provided the other components are suitable for consumption.  You can easily order the alginate polymer and some calcium chloride or other calcium salt online.

Offline Rippon

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
Thank you, that was very helpful .  :)

Just out of curiosity:  the video with the polymer solution, blue dye & soapy water .. how was/is this accomplished? Can this be recreated  at home? Because those have a hard outer shell.

What is a good example of viscous polymer? Can I use a alginate polymer solution, add a few drops of dye and let it drop in soapy water. Would I get the same result?

Sponsored Links