April 24, 2024, 10:02:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acrolein formation from glycerol  (Read 4791 times)

Offline donske

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acrolein formation from glycerol
« on: May 28, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »
Dear all,

I am wondering whether acrolein is formed if you heat up glycerol without the use of a catalyst.
Acids are often used as a catalyst but without one, would there still be formation of acrolein?
Even if you heat it up for a short time period?
I sometimes have to sterilise glycerol and been told to filtersterilise it, but I wonder if autoclaving is an option since it seems to me that formation of acrolein is almost not happing when one uses 15minutes at 120°C and high concentrations of glycerol.

thanks in advance

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Acrolein formation from glycerol
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »
Acrolein is formed by elimination of 2 water from glycerol, so careful to heat it up. Sulfuric acid would accelarate it.

Offline donske

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:57:13 AM »
Acrolein is formed by elimination of 2 water from glycerol, so careful to heat it up. Sulfuric acid would accelarate it.

I know, but how common is it? Without a catalysts, would it really produce a lot of acrolein if you heat up glycerol?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
A little amount is enough that you get tears in your eyes. The glycerol smells strange.

Offline donske

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
A little amount is enough that you get tears in your eyes. The glycerol smells strange.

Its not so much that I wonder about (I make sure I work safe), but I worry that the acrolein might hinder my experiments.
I only found information stating that the dehydration of glycerol (without a catalyst) starts at 280°C so I can not imagine it will happen at normal autoclaving/sterilisation temperatures.

Sponsored Links