April 25, 2024, 08:17:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic Hair Dryers... do they really dry hair faster?  (Read 2259 times)

tineras

Ionic Hair Dryers... do they really dry hair faster?
« on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
My apologies if this has already been asked/answered here. A google search didn't help find a reliable answer to this question so I thought I'd post here and get some opinions. I should mention that I'm a hardware/software engineer and only have a limited knowledge about chemistry; though I do find it very interesting.

My mother has insisted for years that her 'ionic hair dryer' is so wonderful because of how much faster it dries her hair than an ordinary hair dryer. I am willing to concede, but true or not, I'd like to know why. She claims (with the help of some internet search results) that "negative ions released break down the positive water droplets into smaller particles."

Firstly, doesn't H2O have a neutral net charge? (and not a positive one)
Secondly, "negative ions" of what? Oxygen? Nitrogen?

And by drying, I assume this simply means that the bonds between the oxygen and hydrogen atoms are broken.

Isn't the heat from the hair dryer essential (in this example) to the breaking of those bonds?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ionic Hair Dryers... do they really dry hair faster?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Firstly, doesn't H2O have a neutral net charge? (and not a positive one)

Yes, water molecule is neutral.

Secondly, "negative ions" of what? Oxygen? Nitrogen?

If memory serves me well - both.

And by drying, I assume this simply means that the bonds between the oxygen and hydrogen atoms are broken.

No, it means removing water molecules (evaporating them), not splitting them into oxygen and hydrogen.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links