March 29, 2024, 07:55:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Importance of Stirring in Coordination reactions  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Natalia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • I wish I knew what I knew and who I was.
Importance of Stirring in Coordination reactions
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
Hey everyone,

I hope this is the correct forum to ask this in, but I was wondering, does the intensity of stirring play any role in the successful formation of metal complexes? I'm currently trying to reduce ruthenium trichloride to its +2 form in ethanol but, even though this has been done in literature, I can't seem to get it work. An article I was reading mentioned gentle stirring of the solution. Do you guys know if that would be worth trying?

Thanks a lot!
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure it's not in order to enjoy ourselves... --L.Wittgenstein

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: Importance of Stirring in Coordination reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:16 AM »
Yes, sometimes coordination chemistry is more like an alchemy then science. Sometimes the time of stirring decides if you get crystals or powder or if your product forms at all. If the article mentioned gentle stirring, why didnt you stirr gently?

Offline Natalia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • I wish I knew what I knew and who I was.
Re: Importance of Stirring in Coordination reactions
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I actually saw the article after I'd tried the reaction a couple of times and it didn't work. So I haven't actually tried adapting the "slow stirring" method (my project involves other things and I've put this reaction on hold for now). I'll see how it goes and update this post.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure it's not in order to enjoy ourselves... --L.Wittgenstein

Sponsored Links