April 29, 2024, 03:22:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sulfuric acid and potassium nitrate question  (Read 3630 times)

Offline smithbryanf2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
sulfuric acid and potassium nitrate question
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
I'm thinking about producing nitric acid by reacting potassium nitrate with sulfuric acid.
2KNO3 + H2SO4 ----->  2HNO3 + K2SO4

my question is since potassium is higher in the reactivity series of metals, why does this reaction go forward instead of backwards?

Offline smithbryanf2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: sulfuric acid and potassium nitrate question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
I'm trying to get better at predicting reactions, and hopefully i can get some insight into why this might happen.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »
Potassium cation is just a spectator here, it doesn't change during the reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Zyklonb

• Mole Snacks: +30/-10
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
Double displacement reactions don't work that way. All you will have in a solution of ions. The only way to drive a DD reaction to the right, is by removing one of the products as the reaction proceeds. The common ways to do this are: precipitating one of the salts and boiling off the most volatile liquid.
In the case of the specific reaction you suggested, only the later can be used. Simply distill the solution, works like a charm.
There is a way to do it without distillation, using the other way to drive equilibrium: precipitation. Use calcium, barium or strontium nitrate, add this to the stoichoimetric quantity of conc. sulfuric acid. XSO4 will percipitate, and nitric acid will remain in solution.

Sponsored Links