April 28, 2024, 03:18:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trying to understand something very simple looking to understand the logic  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Aud

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have this problem:

how many atoms of H are there in a mixture of 3.49x1023 molecules of H2O and 78.1 grams of CH3OH

I dont understand if molecules are bigger than atoms then why do I multiply instead of dividing the number of atoms in h2O to get the amoount of atoms in H2O .

exemple 3.49x1023 x2 because of 2H in the molecule....

instead of breaking it down

atoms in H20= 3.49x1023 divided by 3 times 2 ??

im trying to understand why I think that way and why is it a multiplication
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:39:15 PM by Aud »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Try to picture it for yourself with smaller numbers and smaller things. Imagine having three (instead of 3.49x1023) packets, each containing two pencils and one erases. How many pencils do you have?

Now realize that each packet "formula" is (pencil)2eraser - so it is in a way equivalent to H2O. Do you see it now?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Aud

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Try to picture it for yourself with smaller numbers and smaller things. Imagine having three (instead of 3.49x1023) packets, each containing two pencils and one erases. How many pencils do you have?

Now realize that each packet "formula" is (pencil)2eraser - so it is in a way equivalent to H2O. Do you see it now?

thats six, I so understand that concept, thanks a lot. this forum helps me so much since I subed

Offline mafagafo

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Why don't you go ahead and attempt to solve this problem so we can check your method?

Sponsored Links