April 29, 2024, 05:26:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the difference between Electrophoresis and Electrodialysis?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline tornato7

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
From what I understand Electrophoresis can be used to move ions through a substance while Electrodialysis moves ions out of a substance to purify water or what have you.

Don't they both involve moving ions through substances using leads at each end? Can Electrophoresis be used for Electrodialysis? I might be missing something very obvious but the processes seem so similar.

Thanks! I appreciate any help, I haven't had much luck finding info elsewhere

Offline tornato7

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What is the difference between Electrophoresis and Electrodialysis?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »
...Somebody? Anybody?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
What luck have you had in finding this out for yourself?  Where did you hear about each process, and how are they performed?  In molecular biology, we often use an electrophoresis rig to separate DNA for example into bands on a gel.  Then we can seal an excised band of gel containing target in a dialysis bag with buffer, put in the same rig without a cast gel, and use the current for a short time to draw the target out of the gel, and into a solution we can use.  Check out some molecular biology textbooks and see if they match your question.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lansuminc

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »
Electrophoresis is the motion of colloidal particles suspended in a fluid medium, due to the influence of an electric field on the medium.

Electrolysis is the process of the passage of an electric current through an electrolyte with subsequent migration of positively and negatively charged ions to the negative and positive electrodes.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
The question was about electrodialysis, not electrolysis.
Electrodialysis is essentially electrophoretic transport of ions across a membrane, from one solution to another (physically separate).

Sponsored Links