April 19, 2024, 03:29:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Protein - Suggestions?  (Read 3311 times)

tb42

Protein - Suggestions?
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
Looking to have Whey Protein Powder maintain solubility in milk for at least one weeks time. When put into milk the Whey does not dissolve, and instead sits on top of the milk, I would like to solve this issue and am looking for suggestions. Is there an ingredient that can accomplish this?(besides water) I know that it has been done by various companies (Core Power,Ensure etc..)

Thoughts?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Protein - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:24 AM »
Does mixing help? Mixing and waiting?

If it sits on the surface, it means it is not easy to wet. Adding some surfactant should help (but I would understand your concerns if you say you don't plan on drinking soap ;) ).

Could be what they really do is they treat the protein so that it becomes more hydrophilic. It doesn't have to mean an added ingredient.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

tb42

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:20:38 AM »
Does mixing help? Mixing and waiting?

If it sits on the surface, it means it is not easy to wet. Adding some surfactant should help (but I would understand your concerns if you say you don't plan on drinking soap ;) ).

Could be what they really do is they treat the protein so that it becomes more hydrophilic. It doesn't have to mean an added ingredient.

Yes, I have tried mixing and waiting, that does not solve the problem unfortunately. What do you suggest? (other than adding surfactant haha)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »
The proteins that come in powder form can sometimes be coaxed into solution with many gentle inversions (for my work, I try to avoid bubbles as much as possible).  Occasionally a stir rod can help, but the protein sometimes wants to clump onto the rod.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
Ultrasound may help dissolve solids by pulverizing them in the liquid.  I don't know if you can find an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner big enough to hold the vessel you want to use, 'tho.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
For some work, one wishes to keep the protein in native form; that is why very vigorous mixing and the formation of bubbles are avoided.  However, if one just needs protein to be in solution, then more vigorous methods are OK.

yesnomaybe

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
I ran into this problem a few years ago when I first became interested in working out. Buy a shaker bottle, and use more liquid than the whey container label says. They usually "6-10 oz" of water per serving, and a quick spoon stir is enough, but that's simply a joke. Add a serving of Whey, and 12 oz or so of milk, cap the shaker, and shake the hell out of it. 2 min later it should be clump free. If not, the whey product may be cheap quality.

Sponsored Links