April 26, 2024, 12:32:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidizer reactions  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Pkd13

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxidizer reactions
« on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
Hello, this is a general curiosity (and personal safety) question. I am very puzzled by this topic and would be greatful for any chemistry experts response (I myself not being one in the least). My question is about the reactivity of almost everything and oxidizers. I have read that both ethanol and citric acid are reactive with oxidizers (and quite harmfully so). Yet when I read the active ingredients in Tide (the laundry detergent), I find they are both in it. Further, Clorox, on their own website, say it is totally safe to mix their product with Tide. Is there a neutralizing ingredient that mitigates the reaction? Or is the concentration probably so low that the reaction is harmless? Very curious to hear your reponses. The below links have the tide ingredients and the clorox statement. Thank you in advance.

Clorox: http://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/cloroxtide-reaction/
Tide ingredients: http://www.pgproductsafety.com/productsafety/ingredients/household_care/laundary_fabric_care/Tide/Tide_Liquid_HE_Free.pdf

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Oxidizer reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
According to the two links you gave the sodium hypochlorite active in Bleach reacts with the brightner - disodium diaminostilbene disulfonate in the Tide.

Offline Pkd13

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I was under the impression this would create a toxic gas (I have read mustard gas for example).  But the only one mentioned is the reaction you discussed, with the brightners.  Is there a reason this is not a concern for the manufacturers?

Offline Pkd13

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to follow up on this.  Does anyone know why this does not produce a hazerdous reaction?  Thank you!! :)))

Sponsored Links