April 20, 2024, 08:44:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pKa for 2' Proton in Ribolactone  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
pKa for 2' Proton in Ribolactone
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »
I am trying to find the pKa of the proton shown for the compound in the attachment but so far I am unable to. Initially I was trying to do an aldol condensation with formaldehyde on the ribose acetonide with pot carb, however, this reaction has not worked at all. I then attempted to formylate the 2-position after protecting the 5' hydroxy, but this reaction is not working either. I have an idea to do it from the lactone, but I dont know the exact pKa of the proton shown and hence, what base would be ideal. I suspect the pKa for the proton to be between 7 - 12 after consulting pKa tables for lactones, but because I cannot find data for this proton specifically, I am making a big assumption. However, based on this assumption, I am tempted to set up a series of reactions on small scale using different organic bases.

I would like opinions on the bases to use. I am probably going to do five 50 mg reactions simultaneously and monitor the reactions by TLC and NMR with the following bases:

-Pot carb because I have been using it (following a paper) and it will give me a good baseline to compare data
-Triethylamine
-DIPEA (will have to modify a prep to suite the reaction I think)
-Pyridine (I dont think this will work)
-LDA (I think this might be overkill)

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to save my PhD and I am in panic mode (I still have two years left with no hope of finishing it seems).
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: pKa for 2' Proton in Ribolactone
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
I am trying to find the pKa of the proton shown for the compound in the attachment but so far I am unable to. Initially I was trying to do an aldol condensation with formaldehyde on the ribose acetonide with pot carb, however, this reaction has not worked at all. I then attempted to formylate the 2-position after protecting the 5' hydroxy, but this reaction is not working either. I have an idea to do it from the lactone, but I dont know the exact pKa of the proton shown and hence, what base would be ideal. I suspect the pKa for the proton to be between 7 - 12 after consulting pKa tables for lactones, but because I cannot find data for this proton specifically, I am making a big assumption. However, based on this assumption, I am tempted to set up a series of reactions on small scale using different organic bases.

I would like opinions on the bases to use. I am probably going to do five 50 mg reactions simultaneously and monitor the reactions by TLC and NMR with the following bases:

-Pot carb because I have been using it (following a paper) and it will give me a good baseline to compare data
-Triethylamine
-DIPEA (will have to modify a prep to suite the reaction I think)
-Pyridine (I dont think this will work)
-LDA (I think this might be overkill)

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to save my PhD and I am in panic mode (I still have two years left with no hope of finishing it seems).

I think a pKa of 7-12 might be a bit low, looking at Evans' tables for ketones, c1ccc(cc1)C(=O)COC has a pKa of ~23, for instance

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
Re: pKa for 2' Proton in Ribolactone
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Yeah I'd guess a pKa in the low 20s... I think the LDA will work fine, but the rest will be unreactive.  Maybe LiHMDS, to tone the LDA down a little? Or tert-butoxide?

Good luck... aldols to generate quaternary centres can be tricky!

Sponsored Links