April 27, 2024, 10:36:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Discovery of the atom, electron etc. Where are the experiments that prove it?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline user11

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi,I find it sad that textbooks state JJ.Thomsons, Rutherfords, Milikan, Borhs etc. discoveries as facts without actually showing the whole experiment and showing in detail how they performed the experiment and how they derived their equations. Are there any textbooks that actually do this? I feel quite dumb when I only learn equations and how to calculate different units or physical quantities from equations without gaining any intuitive understanding of how this works experimentally.

Ben Bob

The first few lectures MIT's online chemistry series do a good job explaining the early modern discoveries, if you are interested in the video route.
Here's the link to the free playlist:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-112-principles-of-chemical-science-fall-2005/video-lectures/

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
These experiments are described in details in the original papers. Could be they can be googled (although they can be behind paywalls).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links