April 28, 2024, 04:40:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sorbitol and water (and some other questions)  (Read 2144 times)

Offline themonk

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Sorbitol and water (and some other questions)
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »
I am trying to figure out how much heat is absorbed/produced when sorbitol is mixed with water. Since the reaction is endothermic, so heat is consumed, but by how much?

I am not sure how to start this problem, but this is what I've got:
Sorbitol is C6H14O6 and Water is H2O, but I am not sure of the products, meaning I cannot figure out the heat of formation (?) the figure out how much energy is produced. Any clues?
Also I was just looking at Sigma Adrich website where they sell Sorbitol (link) and D-Sorbitol (link). What is the difference? What does the "D" signify?

Last thing, could sorbitol react with anything and produce something harmful? I was looking at NH4Cl (endothermic) and NaOH (strong base) and it would produce ammonia - not the best combo, since I am also working with NaOH and some salts.

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Sorbitol and water (and some other questions)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Sorbitol has isomers. D stands for dexter (right). L would mean laevus (left).

There is no danger to mix it with other substances. Only strong oxidiser can react in fire or explosion.

Measurements: you need a Calorimeter.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Sorbitol and water (and some other questions)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
There doesn't have to be an actual chemical reaction for heat exchange to occur. In solutions or mixtures that are not ideal, the very act of mixing can cause evolution or absorption of heat, because the nature of intermolecular forces will change during the process. The magnitude and direction of heat flow will depend on the chemical nature of the two substances being mixed, their relative proportions, and external factors like temperature and pressure.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links