April 28, 2024, 12:33:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility differences between Pb(NO3)2 and AgNO3  (Read 5309 times)

Offline mandog

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility differences between Pb(NO3)2 and AgNO3
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:44 AM »
Hey, I am currently doing a solubility assignment where there is two bottles of solutions but the labels have come off. One contains silver nitrate and the other contains lead nitrate. Using only solubility rules and precipitation reactions you have to distinguish which bottle contains which. However, I find that Ag and Pb tend to stick together in the solubility rules and I can't find a way of distinguishing them. IF someone could please help me that would be great, because I am really stuck at the moment.
Thanks,
Mani

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Solubility differences between Pb(NO3)2 and AgNO3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:20:37 AM »
Hot solutions?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:57:43 AM »
Different colors of a certain salt of a particular metal?  Different consistencies of the precipitate?  Differences in redissolving a precipitate with a particular reagent?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »
Though AgCl and PbCl2 are both fairly insoluble, their actual Ksp values are several orders of magnitude different. Also, the stoichoimetry is different, so I wonder if you can exploit a common ion effect by adding, say, sodium chloride and watching how the precipitation behavior changes.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links