April 18, 2024, 11:54:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Where is the p orbital (resonance structure) (aromaticity)?  (Read 9389 times)

Offline davidenarb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Where is the p orbital (resonance structure) (aromaticity)?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
More or less, but as I said some of the language you are using is not very rigorous.

First, I need to make sure whether this is a logical response or not ( I am waiting for a Yes or a No please)
Second, if the response is logical and there is a lack of rigorous vocabulary, then please correct it

I think I understand it :) please check whether my thinking is logical:

In general situations, we should say that the carbanion atom is sp3 hybridized, but as a result of the presence of pi bond, the lone pair of the carbanion will participate in resonance so that the compound will be more stable. the electrons participating in resonance are in the p orbitals of the pi bonds, and in order for the lone pair to be delocalized, they must also be in the same orbital: the p orbital. This is why the carbanion will have an sp2 orbital producing thereby a p orbital that allow the lone pair to participate in resonance.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Where is the p orbital (resonance structure) (aromaticity)?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »
I already told you one way in which the language is not rigorous.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links