April 25, 2024, 11:46:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: MSc in inorg. anal. chemistry, but I want more experience with quantum chemistry  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Compaq

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
As mentioned in another thread, I finish my MSc in inorganic chemical analysis the next summer. During my current education I have realized that many analytical instrument's principle are rooted in quantum physics; electrons and atoms are not governed by classical mechanics after all!

Because of this sudden realization, I enrolled for the university's basic course in quantum physics (book: John Townsend, "A Fundamental Approach to Modern Physics"). This is hands down the most interesting course I have ever taken as a chemistry student. We derived the quantum numbers from solving the schrodinger equation in three dimensions (well, our professor did, and I looked at him in awe) - the same numbers I have encountered so many times in the introductory chemistry courses, but then without any form of rationale for why they are the way they are. We applied simple electric potential models to calculate at which wavelength an organic compound emits light. We explained with the Fermi energy why white dwarves are stable. All this we did with basic quantum physics!

I have always wanted to study in the States, and I want to get a better understanding of quantum physics and quantum chemistry. With this wish comes a few questions, with which I hope someone can help me.

I already have a BSc and an MSc in chemistry. Should I apply for graduate school to get this basic understanding of quantum chemistry? Graduate school means taking some courses and doing original research - but how can I do original research in a field about which I know very little?

So maybe I should pursue another BSc, and major in quantum chemistry (or physical chemistry, or chemical physics, or whatever), and just take all the quantum chemistry/physics courses I can (along with the required math).

So, after this ramble, what do you think? Should I go for another BSc?
My grades are not half bad; my GPA is around 4.0 (depending on my MSc grade). Into which university do I have a fair chance of being admitted?

I appreciate any input!

Kind regards,
Anders

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Here in the states most chemistry curricula are standardized. You don't get a BS in one particular kind of chemistry - you get it in chemistry. Of course, you can focus in one particular area in your last year of school but everyone has the same degree. Therefore getting another BS degree, at least here in the states, will not be really helpful. You can enroll in a PhD program, but if your intent is to pursue research in physical chemistry, and you don't have a solid undergraduate foundation in this subject area, you will be a great disadvantage, because graduate programs won't bring you up to speed. My advice would be to enroll in a few undergraduate-level courses in physical chemistry, and then apply to graduate school. If you are enrolled in a university currently, this shouldn't be a problem. If you aren't currently enrolled, things may be more difficult - in which case you can either try to learn the material by yourself, or possible take a course at a community college or something.  The important thing isn't so much the course credit on your record - with an BS and MS in chemistry, you already have the degrees necessary to get into a PhD program - but to have the knowledge so you're not starting off your degree program far behind.  Taking a few courses in physical chemistry will also tell you whether it's an area you will truly enjoy. Much better to find that out during coursework than three years into a PhD program!
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
I already have a BSc and an MSc in chemistry. Should I apply for graduate school to get this basic understanding of quantum chemistry? Graduate school means taking some courses and doing original research - but how can I do original research in a field about which I know very little?

There are perhaps options for you in the UK - if you're not interested in the UK, you can disregard what follows - I only mention it because it's what I know about.

One option is Doctoral Training Centres (DTC) [a.k.a. Centres for Doctoral Training or CDT]. These are centres within a university that try to promote interdisciplinary research. It is not offered by all universities, and topics vary between institutions but I believe it is becoming more common. They take graduates from various scientific backgrounds and offer an extended PhD programme, the first year of which involves taught modules and short placements in research labs. This is to get you familiar with new research fields (scientists from any background are considered). After the first year you join a lab and do a PhD more or less as normal. Imperial have a quantum DTC:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/controlledquantumdynamics

This system may exist outside the UK, I don't know.

The other option is to do Master's degree in quantum physics. This can be very quick in the UK (1-2 years), and might make entry to a group of interest in the US easier for you.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links