April 28, 2024, 09:43:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

Have you had the opportunity to see the new Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey series?

Yes, I was really impressed
1 (25%)
Yes, I was not that impressed
1 (25%)
No, I have heard of it before but not had a chance to see it yet
1 (25%)
No, I had not heard of it
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Topic: Has anyone watched the new Cosmos A SpaceTime Odyssey yet? What did you think?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist

Hey folks, 

Just wondering if any of you have had the chance to see this years' remake of Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' documentaries from 1980 with the MAN himself, Neil deGrasse Tyson, hosting.

It really was a pleasure to watch since it was produced by Seth McFarlane (of Family Guy fame) and Brannon Braga (of Star Trek fame) so it is super high quality with amazing special effects to accompany the so succinct (information overload) and well-flowing storylines for each of the 13 episodes.

My favorite had to be Episode 2 as it dealt with human evolution and in my humble opinion did the best job I have ever seen of illustrating Darwin's natural laws of survival of the fittest and evolution of a population over time based on a selected benefit. It gives great historical perspective with showing the modern science of today, unknown then and how it plays into those first developed theories.

I hope you all get a chance to see this, and I am happy they finally started making shows like this again, and hope that more programs like this are made in the future. I remember a time when the Discovery Channel had quality shows like James Burke's "Connections" and "The Day the Universe Changed" instead of all the drivel shows on now that deal with finding Antique or Pawn shop bargains, or getting a tattoo done from some tattoo parlour. WHAT HAPPENED????  And Cosmos, of all places, was aired on the FOX Network!!  ;D

Here is a link to it for more information. It has scored a 9.5 voter rating which is almost unheard of on the imdb site, based on over 21,000 people voting!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Anyway I highly recommend, and I am sure there will be some of you who may not have known about this series and will be very thankful to have found out about it. Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:24:01 PM by Furanone »
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
Poll added for fun
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
I guess I'll rent, or even buy, the DVD set.  I just can't bear to deal with the Fox network.  Preempting all the shows I need to wind down on a weekend with other crap.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
I hope you all get a chance to see this, and I am happy they finally started making shows like this again, and hope that more programs like this are made in the future. I remember a time when the Discovery Channel had quality shows like James Burke's "Connections" and "The Day the Universe Changed" instead of all the drivel shows on now that deal with finding Antique or Pawn shop bargains, or getting a tattoo done from some tattoo parlour. WHAT HAPPENED???? 
What happened is that your average American just doesn't give a crap about science. This is evidence pretty much everywhere. I mean, pick a recent issue of pretty much any decent chemistry journal and look at the names of people writing the articles. Ain't too many "Johns" and "Elizabeths".

Meh. Don't want to get on a rant.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
I hope you all get a chance to see this, and I am happy they finally started making shows like this again, and hope that more programs like this are made in the future. I remember a time when the Discovery Channel had quality shows like James Burke's "Connections" and "The Day the Universe Changed" instead of all the drivel shows on now that deal with finding Antique or Pawn shop bargains, or getting a tattoo done from some tattoo parlour. WHAT HAPPENED???? 
What happened is that your average American just doesn't give a crap about science. This is evidence pretty much everywhere. I mean, pick a recent issue of pretty much any decent chemistry journal and look at the names of people writing the articles. Ain't too many "Johns" and "Elizabeths".

Meh. Don't want to get on a rant.

Sponsored Links