April 29, 2024, 12:27:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Metal-organic precursor for CVD (solubility)  (Read 1915 times)

Offline h3ll4s

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Metal-organic precursor for CVD (solubility)
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new here and I have a question about a certain metal-organic compound. I would like to use Barium(II) 2,2,6,6-tetramethylheptanedionate (tmhd) as a precursor for CVD but I dont know if it is soluble in eg methanol or ethanol. I have already tried using Barium acetylacetonate but it is not soluble in any alcohol. I am only asking since the compound is fairly expensive and I hope that someone can help me. I have also seen that people used Barium methoxyethoxytetramethylheptanedionate (methd)2 and that it has better properties in terms of volatility and decomposition tough I could not find any suppliers.

I am looking forward to your replies.

Many thanks
H3ll4s

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Metal-organic precursor for CVD (solubility)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:50:21 AM »
Ba(acac)2, Ba(tmhd)2 and Ba(methd)2 will be soluble in tetraglyme, which is a good solvent because of vapor pressure and stabilization of electrostatic forces.  Ba(acac)2  is soluble in methanol according to literature, but maybe not at room temp (did you check this?).  Any solvent like tetraglyme should work; bipyridine is another.

Ba(acac)2 costs ~$1000/mol, but it can easily be made from BaCl2*2water (~$27/mol) and acetylacetone (~$12/mol).  Cheaper to make.  Ba(tmhd)2 can be made cheaply in two steps.

Ba(methd)2 can be made in 5 steps; attached jpg is my opinion of the best path to the ligand.  If you have questions or someone wants to correct me, please post a comment.

Sponsored Links