March 29, 2024, 02:27:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is Na2SO4 covalant or ionic compound?  (Read 22870 times)

Offline Partha Sarker

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
Is Na2SO4 covalant or ionic compound?
« on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »
Na2SO4 is a salt...well everybody knows it.But my question is this compound ionic or covalent?

the radical SO42- is formed by covalent bonds.. But when Na2SO4 constructs 2 Na atoms give 2 e- to 2 O2 atoms.. So there is both ionic and covalent bonds.

So what should we call this compound an ionic one or a covalent one...???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Is Na2SO4 covalant or ionic compound?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 03:17:27 AM »
We treat it as an ionic salt (even if you are perfectly right about SO42- containing covalent bonds). Trick is, SO42- is so stable we rarely have to care about its internal structure, and most properties of Na2SO4 are defined by the presence of Na+ and the stable counterion.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Partha Sarker

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:17 AM »
We treat it as an ionic salt (even if you are perfectly right about SO42- containing covalent bonds). Trick is, SO42- is so stable we rarely have to care about its internal structure, and most properties of Na2SO4 are defined by the presence of Na+ and the stable counterion.
Do you mean "Counter Ion" by "counterion"

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:59:05 AM »
Do you mean "Counter Ion" by "counterion"

Apparently, it can be written both ways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterion
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
@Partha

It is usually considered an ionic compound. However the sulfate ion is considered a "polyatomic ion", which is held together by covalent bonds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyatomic_ion

(When I was learning general chemistry, we used the term "complex ion". But apparently this term is no longer in favor. Damn, that's when you know you're getting old - when terms you learned are being retired in favor of others...)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Partha Sarker

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09:36 AM »
@Partha

It is usually considered an ionic compound. However the sulfate ion is considered a "polyatomic ion", which is held together by covalent bonds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyatomic_ion

(When I was learning general chemistry, we used the term "complex ion". But apparently this term is no longer in favor. Damn, that's when you know you're getting old - when terms you learned are being retired in favor of others...)
So Radical=Polyatomic ion???

Sponsored Links