April 29, 2024, 05:09:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what is this?  (Read 4440 times)

Offline belven

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
what is this?
« on: August 02, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
Hi. Please, could anyone tell me about what's the name and what kind of stuff is this?
O-(4-Hydroxy-3-Iodophenyl)-3-Iodo-L-Tyrosine

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
Ummm ... what's the question again?  You want the name, of something that you know the name of?  You have other questions, but instead of asking scientific parameters, you want to know "stuff?"  Where did you find it, and why do you need to know?  Do you understand chemical nomenclature, and do you recognize any parts of the name?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline belven

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
Hi, yes 'stuff' because I do not know what it is so I'ld like to know about its name, about if it's an aminoacid or an enzyme or a sort of hormone-like substance or what?
I saw it was named onto the label of a fitness supplement

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
Very interesting.  Off the top of my head, its not something I'd eat willingly.  But I don't know everything.  OK, so here's a tip -- when reading a chemical name, often (but not always unfortunately) the most important part of a chemical name is the last word.  We tend to make that the "base" of the molecule, and add groups to it, naming them and their positions first.  So starting with that info -- can you look up 'tyrosine' and find out what it is?  This is how we help on these forums, we try to help people learn, we don't just dump complete answers to every question.

*EDIT*

Also look at this Google result:  http://www.hmdb.ca/metabolites/HMDB05869
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline belven

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
Yes, Thanks for the help & sorry about the chemical knoledge lackness of mine. Yes, I'd already noticed that "tyrosine" but the point is I'ld want to know what exactly is. I get the feeling it's a very different substance than the plane tyrosine.
So I'ld like to know  if it's for example the Tyrosine hydroxylase (or tyrosine 3-monooxygenase) or maybe the Tetrahydrobiopterin or other. don't know. The only thing I know is that it's something very different than tyrosine.
Also I'ld want to know about if it's something that human body owns and produces endogenously by itself.
http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB6930097.htm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:08:48 PM by belven »

Offline rwiew

• Mole Snacks: +10/-6
  • MChem, PhD Researcher in Chemical Biology
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
Hi belven, what you've got is a metabolite of thyroid hormones, diiodothyronine, also known as T2. Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,3'-Diiodothyronine and references and all the other thyroid hormones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone .

Offline belven

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:07 PM »
oh, thanks a hyper-bunch bro! it seems you're right! So it's simply the T2! When I had seen at that extralong O-(4-Hydroxy-3-Iodophenyl)-3-Iodo-L-Tyrosine formula I was scared about what stuff I eated. Actually I feel not so fine but finally i think to can say it's not a blame up the t2.
BTW one of the O-(4-hydroxy-3-iodophenyl)-3-iodo-L-tyrosine  synonimos is:  3,3'-Diiodo-L-thyronine
But the t2 synonim is 3,3'-Diiodo-thyronine
There's an "L" of more than the T2's one does not to have, so are you sure,sure,sure it's the same stuff? Thanks.
http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB6930097.htm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:45:11 PM by belven »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »
The L in the name refers to the "handedness" of the molecule.  Essentially, molecules can be like your right and left hands which are almost identical except they are mirror images of each other.  The handedness of molecules is important in biology because many enzymes have a handedness as well and can only interact with one version of the molecule and not the other (e.g. if the enzyme is like a left-handed glove it will fit the left hand but not the right hand).

Most amino acids in the body have the L handedness, so O-(4-Hydroxy-3-Iodophenyl)-3-Iodo-L-Tyrosine is the correct version of T2.  The mirror image, O-(4-Hydroxy-3-Iodophenyl)-3-Iodo-D-Tyrosine, would not act the same way in the body as the correct L version.

Offline belven

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
Thanx a bunch to you too Yggdrasil! Very apprecciated and I think I get it. Very good explaination about that handed stuff and mirrors.
BTW this is more an endocrinology question but i try anyway: does anyone know about eating tyrosine supplements if it might get the possibility to get a permanent 'shotdown' (deficienct, decreasing) at the own tyrosine production? 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:53:30 PM by belven »

Sponsored Links