April 25, 2024, 07:31:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: M+ + 2Na?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Nescafe

• Mole Snacks: +7/-11
M+ + 2Na?
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Hi,

I boc protected an amine group and on the other end is an alcohol, I thought in the mass spec my boc would fall off but it did not but instead I see my M+ with two sodium. So my peak + 46, is it possible for this to occur? I have not experienced this before (and been doing it a long time)

Nescafe.

Offline ziqquratu

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: M+ + 2Na?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »
I apologise if you already know this, but you must always recall that the peaks you see in a mass spectrum are not mass - they are mass/charge (m/z) ratio. Assume your mass is 100; for [M + Na]+, m/z is 123/1 = 123. For [M + 2Na]2+, however, m/z is 146/2 = 73.  Therefore, if you have a peak at 146, it must not be [M + 2Na]2+.

It could be some species other than Na+ is providing the charge, or it could be you've got some other neutral species in there as well - EtOH, for example, has a mass of 46 and could easily form part of the charged complex if it were used as the solvent. Or perhaps some combination of a neutral and a charged species (eg. [M + MeOH + Na]+ would give M+55 - too high, I know, but it is a common example and I cant think of one off the top of my head that gives M+46!)

Offline Nescafe

• Mole Snacks: +7/-11
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Well explained. Thing is, with an alcohol I assumed the overall charge would still be +1 not +2. Basically let us say I have  R-OH. I assumed the possibility of having R-O- +Na + +Na So for clarity formula would be RO- +Na2. I think it is unlikely but sometimes when you are chasing a molecule you fabricate all scenarios possible so it makes sense :P

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 02:31:17 AM »
Also, looking at the isotope peak Δm/z will tell you what charge it has.

Sponsored Links