April 25, 2024, 03:26:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Jobs after PhD in Chemistry  (Read 4138 times)

Offline davidenarb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Jobs after PhD in Chemistry
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »
Hi all,

After completing a PhD in chemistry, Can I join a research group and continuing publishing all the rest of my life without being a lecturer? is that actually a job? 

please take the question seriously
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:47:02 PM by davidenarb »

Offline rwiew

• Mole Snacks: +10/-6
  • MChem, PhD Researcher in Chemical Biology
Re: Jobs after PhD in Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
You can join a research institute where you may not be required to lecture, yes.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:03 PM »
In a government lab.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline davidenarb

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:55:11 AM »
Can I do that in a university?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:03:37 AM »
I my experience it's rare in the UK for University labs to hire postdocs for more than 5 years (contracts are usually 1-3 years). Long standing senior postdocs do exist of course, but you need a PI who wants you to stay with them long term and you should bear in mind that you'd be reliant on a string of back to back successful grant applications to keep extending your contract. Mobility as a postdoc within academia becomes more difficult as you get older as well - what do you do when your boss retires? I think it's a risky move, you might strangle your own career development.

If you don't want to be a lecturer, it's probably not a good idea to try to stay in academia for life.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline davidenarb

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
I my experience it's rare in the UK for University labs to hire postdocs for more than 5 years (contracts are usually 1-3 years). Long standing senior postdocs do exist of course, but you need a PI who wants you to stay with them long term and you should bear in mind that you'd be reliant on a string of back to back successful grant applications to keep extending your contract. Mobility as a postdoc within academia becomes more difficult as you get older as well - what do you do when your boss retires? I think it's a risky move, you might strangle your own career development.

If you don't want to be a lecturer, it's probably not a good idea to try to stay in academia for life.

Thank you Dan!

I am especially curious to know your opinion, now, about that:

I am newly graduated student in Business, and I need to decide between two paths.
The first path: I have always dreamed to be a chemist; however, for personal and financial issues, I couldn't make it. Now, I am able to do so. (I was always attracted by academic careers in chemistry), so if I'll choose this path, I plan to continue until PhD (around 8 years in total)

The second path: I also love languages; therefore, I am intested in translation studies.
The only desadvantage regarding the first path is of course time investment and effort. I don't why I feel like it is undoable!
The second path is not my dream, but it's a plan B, so I am trying to be as open-minded as possible.

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links