April 26, 2024, 08:36:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why the difficulty?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Why the difficulty?
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »
All,
Not sure if this is OK to post, so if it is not, a mod. is free to delete it at will.  I am wondering why I simply CANNOT get chemicals such as SOCl2, AA (and most anhydrides for that matter), malonic ester, acetoacetic ester, STAB and Sodium Cyanoborohydride (Most metal hydrides are closely watched now) etc. from non-sketchball chemical companies?  I am a HOME chemist, so I know that has much to do with it.  However, 5 years ago, one could order T-Bu. Lithium, and NOBODY TURNED AN EYE!  I am a graduate student 3 years into my Ph.D. in organic, so I am not a novice in the least, nor in a laboratory.  I have ALL of these chemicals, tools, free reign to order them THROUGH THE UNIVERSITY in my lab, but in the words of a very famous scientist (You'll know who I'm talking about if you've ever read it), "The one source "un-named author" does not condone is theft.  If you steal, then you are a weasel and a coward." (13).  I would never steal any reagents, etc, as it is wrong first off, and would surely nix my chances of attaining my Ph.D.  I am not asking for sources etc.  Just some ideas, etc, would be greatly appreciated.  I've exhausted all my efforts to attain said chemicals, and I just am not able to.  I will provide anybody who might be able to help with intended usage forms, etc, as I am NOT a s#*$-hook meth producer.  I have nothing to hide.  Just somebody who is fascinated by home chemistry and experimentation.  I HATE HAVING TO SYNTHESIZE MY OWN PRECURSORS, as separations and product loss is always a problem, no matter how good of lab technique one has.  Somewhat like peddling your car…..kinda defeats the purpose.
           -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Why the difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
They were always watched, even in universities and companies. Just not obvious. Every year we had to provide a lab inventory of chemicals. But I got the occasional call from purchasing asking why I needed such and such a compound!
Drugs, and their precursor chemicals, just about cover the Aldrich catalogue. Add explosives now as well and it is complete. Private individuals, no matter how qualified, don't stand a chance of getting them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:07:54 AM by discodermolide »
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »
Such a bummer.  Why punish people for doing LEGAL things.  I would welcome the DEA to come inspect my lab, as I have no drugs, illegal compounds., list 1 precursors, etc.  I really do mean that.  So no other options other than to "deal with it"?
              -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
I guess you can ask them to inspect you, they will probably come. But that doesn't stop you from doing something after they have gone.
So they would have to come un-announced, and that is too much effort. It is easier to control the purchasing.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »
My boss at the first job I ever had was a PhD with a dream.  We would order any common reagent (not precursors or very dangerous reagents) from Sigma-Aldric.  Any reagent he wanted to pay for out of the grant money that is.  He was the person who ordered it, he and I used it, but it was ordered by the company he incorporated.

Which is what makes all the difference.  If you want to do high school grade demonstrations, you can order reagents.  If you want to do some home inventing, you'll have to build company, register it as a corporation, and run it like your university, with all of the checks and paperwork.  If you're somewhere in between, you really have to look at it critically -- Why are you in between?  Don't you have enough work to do at the university?  Take up another hobby, then.  If you feel there is a really need to expand your talents to a certain application, then start a company.  If you can't start and register a company that does what you want to do, then maybe you shouldn't do it at all, speaking legally.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links