March 29, 2024, 06:04:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Zumdahl Which chapters explains acid and bases  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Whizzies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Zumdahl Which chapters explains acid and bases
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
Hello Guys,

I want to learn about acid and bases as how they are defined and created. Which chapters do I need to dig in to? I don't want to read the whole book, but I do want to understand this topic completely.

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Zumdahl Which chapters explains acid and bases
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »
According to this Google search:  http://books.google.com/books/about/Chemical_Principles.html?id=2OxrDtDaSqIC

The topic begins on page 233.  Why you didn't do this for yourself by checking the table of contents of your own book is a mystery to me.  You don't have to read a whole book, if you know the name of your topic.

Also:
I want to learn about acid and bases as how they are defined and created.

Its also hard to follow you here.  Defined is an easy enough question.  But created?  What does that mean to you, in a chemical sense?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Whizzies

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:59:51 AM »
According to this Google search:  http://books.google.com/books/about/Chemical_Principles.html?id=2OxrDtDaSqIC

The topic begins on page 233.  Why you didn't do this for yourself by checking the table of contents of your own book is a mystery to me.  You don't have to read a whole book, if you know the name of your topic.

Also:
I want to learn about acid and bases as how they are defined and created.

Its also hard to follow you here.  Defined is an easy enough question.  But created?  What does that mean to you, in a chemical sense?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I hoped I would have been. I know where to find the chapter and the page number where the topic about acids and bases start, but what I want to know is: ''Is it possible to just start reading there about acids and bases'' or will the book refer back to other chapters as well? Is the chapter on its own enough to understand the concept of bases and acids?

Created in the chemical sense? I want to know why acids are acids and bases are bases. I know that the one is a proton donor and the other an acceptor, but I want to know why they behave in such way and why it is important to distinct acids and bases.

Thanks (:

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:38:17 AM »
1) Usualy its sufficient to read only the chapter. It depends on knowledge you already have but sometimes its necessary to look into previous chapters when you dont understand.

2) I think if you read that chapter, it will answer this question

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:52:20 AM »
Acids and bases is a topic that direct follows the principles of chemical equilibrium. If you don't understand chemical equilibrium, you'll have to read those chapters first.  (And this cycle extends back to the beginning of the subject of chemistry.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »
or will the book refer back to other chapters as well?

Start reading, you will find the answer on your own.

Once you know it, feel free to report it here.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Whizzies

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »

Hello everybody,

Thanks for replying. I am sorry that I can't tell you guys anymore, and that the question may seem ridiculous redundant, but it helped me out.

Have a nice day!

Acids and bases is a topic that direct follows the principles of chemical equilibrium. If you don't understand chemical equilibrium, you'll have to read those chapters first.  (And this cycle extends back to the beginning of the subject of chemistry.)

Thank you very much! I will dig into chemical equilibrium and follow it up with acids and bases.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Hello Guys,

I want to learn about acid and bases as how they are defined and created. Which chapters do I need to dig in to? I don't want to read the whole book, but I do want to understand this topic completely.

In zumdhal book - Chapter two -you can learn naming of acids (oxo and nonoxo acids).
Chapters 14 and 15 are completely based on acid /bases  and acid base equilibrium.

Offline Wrynn

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »
1) Usualy its sufficient to read only the chapter. It depends on knowledge you already have but sometimes its necessary to look into previous chapters when you dont understand.

2) I think if you read that chapter, it will answer this question

^^ this plus if you have more questions you can read up different chapters  :)

Sponsored Links