April 19, 2024, 11:03:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which route is better?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline quantumnumber

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Which route is better?
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of a possible synthesis route for a compound, and in comparison with the one my teacher suggested me, I noticed some unclear points (see the attachment).

His route is shorter, but I think when he uses the base (NaH) in step 2, he could deprotonate also the Hα in relation to ketone group (actually, i think this proton is more acidic). For this reason, I thought of protecting the ketone group with an acetal in order to decrease the acidity of Hα, then going on with the synthesis, and finally deprotect the ketone.

Am I right? Or my teacher's one can work?

Thanks a lot.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Which route is better?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »
If you wanted to know which acid is a stronger acid, you could look them up. Compare the acidity of cyclohexanone and ethanol in a pKa table. Which is more acidic? However, this is a rather challenging problem and I doubt the relative acidity is the major problem.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
As my mentor told me 10,000,000,000,000 times, Organic Chem is an EXPERIMENTAL science.  Try them, although both should work.  I would go with the one with less overall steps, as yields tend to suffer unless your getting quantitative intermediates (not likely).
             -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
You could alkylate the enolate with ethylene oxide and work up with allyl bromide, which may just provide the product.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline quantumnumber

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions. Actually I'm about to take a retrosynthetic anylisis exam and so I guess I just have to indicate a "chemically possible" route, at least theoretically, because I can not check it in the lab ;)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
I thought an aldol condensation reaction would compete with alkylation. I also thought hemiacetal formation would compete, so I didn't like either route. So "chemically possible" would be the operative word here.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links