April 16, 2024, 03:09:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Lab Reports!!!  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Allotrope4lyfe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Lab Reports!!!
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
I am going to be a chemistry TA this upcoming year but I was told that I need at least 10 completed lab reports (high school level) in order to become a TA. I've been looking around all summer but none of my friends have any and no teachers have any. I would have done them myself but due to circumstances I am situated in Korea where a lab for doing high school lab reports is not easy to find and also the fact that I know basically no one in Korea. I am extremely desperate and I will be so grateful and willing to do anything for anyone that can provide these for me.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Chemistry Lab Reports!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »
You can use facilities given by virtual labs to do experiments and perform experiments to collect data.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
You can use facilities given by virtual labs to do experiments and perform experiments to collect data.

This is a very good idea.  Ask the people who need lab reports if they have any references to places online where an experiment could be executed and a lab report written that they would accept.  Likewise, search high school lab books, at least once and a while, IIRC, there was a lab that didn't have a practical part, just data and calculations, see if you can execute those.  Perhaps, when you bring this up, people will say (the Korean equivalent of,)  "Dude, just write up any old experiment you did as best you can with some made up observations and let us have it on file."  Perhaps that's cheating, or perhaps its not, even if it seems to be going against the spirit of the requirement.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Allotrope4lyfe

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
I have tried looking into virtual labs but most of them didn't have good format or I had to pay for them. I really don't think I should need to pay for this as I have done high school labs before just it has been too long.... But thanks for the suggestion :D

Offline Allotrope4lyfe

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »

This is a very good idea.  Ask the people who need lab reports if they have any references to places online where an experiment could be executed and a lab report written that they would accept.  Likewise, search high school lab books, at least once and a while, IIRC, there was a lab that didn't have a practical part, just data and calculations, see if you can execute those.  Perhaps, when you bring this up, people will say (the Korean equivalent of,)  "Dude, just write up any old experiment you did as best you can with some made up observations and let us have it on file."  Perhaps that's cheating, or perhaps its not, even if it seems to be going against the spirit of the requirement.
I don't think a virtual lab is a good idea even though at first I did think so. The people we talk about have to think I did it in a real lab or something of that sort but I have been taking classes all summer for Chemistry and I am not about to be bumped out of getting this position just because of some stupid lab reports. I am just so lost and confined in Korea I have no idea what to do.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »
Well, lets try to take this point by point to see if we can solve your dilemma.

I am going to be a chemistry TA this upcoming year but I was told that I need at least 10 completed lab reports (high school level) in order to become a TA.

This is  an interesting requirement.  Seems plausible, on the face of it, yet also difficult -- high school was at least a little while away for you, so its not too weird to not have saved these things.  Its a funny requirement -- maybe you can ask the instructors or department head where they got theirs?  Does everyone in Korea treasure their high school documents past their university degree?  That seems ... useless, to me.  Unless they all knew in advance about this requirement, which is likely.

I've been looking around all summer but none of my friends have any and no teachers have any.

Could you have even used theirs anyway?  If you could have used someone else's data and written it up yourself ... can't you write some up yourself with fabricated data?  Check first, of course, before you actually fabricate data -- you're not trying to prove for example that the water of hydration of copper sulfate is 5 moles per sulfate equivalent, only that you can write up such results properly.  Hmmm.... seems like a worse and worse idea the more I think about it.  You should forget I mentioned it ... or maybe ask if its OK.

Interestingly, does it have to be high school level?  You'll be TA for labs, I guess?  So pick five labs, do them, and write them up.  You'll have your requirement, and you'll have studied for your first 5 teaching labs, so you're ready for your students.  Suggest this to the department head, maybe they'll let you wait for your first month to comply, if you can't get to the lab until the term starts.

I would have done them myself but due to circumstances I am situated in Korea where a lab for doing high school lab reports is not easy to find and also the fact that I know basically no one in Korea. I am extremely desperate and I will be so grateful and willing to do anything for anyone that can provide these for me.

So you need us to execute 5 high school level labs, provide you with raw data, and you'll write it up?  Or do you want us to do it all for you?  We don't do that here, you should check the forum rules.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Allotrope4lyfe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
No no thats not at all what I want from this forum. I have just realized that no matter how hard I try to write an empty lab report I can't do it without any data and I have no idea how to make up that data because honestly I am becoming a TA to learn this stuff, not just go there for fun every day. And it has been so long since I have done any labs, more or less high school labs. I am just so lost and desperate. This is the weirdest requirement ever I agree with you but I guess if thats what they want I have to give it to them. They set harsh requirements and it is almost impossible to fulfill all of them within one summer, which is probably why so little people apply for it. I am truly so tired of chemistry right now and I am kind of starting to doubt what I am even doing... :-[ ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:36:22 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Ben Bob2

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemist
    • Ben's Chemistry Page
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
I am truly so tired of chemistry right now and I am kind of starting to doubt what I am even doing

Well don't give up just because of this situation. The more I go to school, the  more I realize that passing classes is only part of succeeding; most of my difficulties are from dealing with idiots and with the technical details of just scheduling and attending class etc.
To keep going, I have to remind myself that sticking it out through frustrating situations is the only way I can do what I want in life. I still just want to drive on past school and not stop some mornings though, so I can sympathize  ::)

As others have pointed out, talking to those in charge of your program is probably your only honest chance at getting the position you want. Be prepared to defend yourself, by perhaps bringing a list of college-level labs you have completed, or academic transcript or anything else to prove that you are ready for the position.

Good luck.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

2014 Eisenhower Fellow
2015 GRO Fellow

Sponsored Links