April 20, 2024, 03:51:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A good wax dissolver?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline kailun

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A good wax dissolver?
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
I am finding a solvent that can dissolve wax efficiently without physical removal.
I cannot reach the wax since the wax are located inside the part that I want to clean, so I need a solvent that can dissolve the wax directly but not something that can just soft it. Thank you for helping!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: A good wax dissolver?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
There are a number of possible solvents, but to really give you useful information, we have to know what type of wax it is, and what the part its lodged in is made up.  For example, plastic will be damaged by the same sorts of strong solvent that will dissolve wax.  I'm also wondering where you'll be able to buy some of the strongest solvents.  And just how much wax you need to dissolve.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »
The OTC stuff you buy for earwax certainly comes to mind.
(Active ingredient is carbamide peroxide. Basically - hydrogen peroxide.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
Well, the peroxide trick works well for earwax (sebum) because its mostly sterol esters mixed with flaked of skin cells.  Those cells like provide the catalase enzyme to decompose the peroxide and debride the ear canal.  But there's nothing in the O.P that suggests that's their application.  Although if the wax would function as a catalyst, this could be a gentle way to pick wax out of a metal or plastic part.  That's certainly a better idea than solvent in the ear canal. :D
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links