April 28, 2024, 11:09:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Symmetry and point group  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Plumbum

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Symmetry and point group
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »
Hi there

I have a question to the symmetry and the point groups.

I'm not quite sure to determine what kind of symmetry a molecule has and to which point gruoup it belongs.
I read that certain structures have certain point groups, that means that linear molecule would have the point group Dooh ?

Would that be correct?
Thank u
There might be some language misunderstandings - I'm from Germany

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Symmetry and point group
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »
D∞h is one of the point groups for linear molecules. You can think about symmetry to determine how many point groups there should be. For instance, do CO2 and CO have the same symmetry? If not, then they both can't be in the same point group. Therefore there has to be more than one point group for linear molecules.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Plumbum

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »
Is it somehow defined which structure ( trigonal planar , linear etc. ) belongs to which point groups? Like trigonal planar would alaways be C1 and Dooh ( just example!!)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
The structure can narrow down the number possible point groups - for example, a tetrahedral molecule can never be D4h, because the "4" implies a 4-fold rotational axis and the "h" implies a reflection plane perpendicular to the principle axis, neither of which is possible for a tetrahedral shape. However, the shape alone is not enough to determine the possible point group. Chloroform and methane are both essentially tetrahedral-like, but they have different point groups.

It sounds from your questions like you need to do some reading about point groups and molecular symmetry. Any introductory inorganic or physical chemistry textbook should be a good place to start.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Plumbum

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
yeah I actually did but I'll keep reading haha

I hate this topic  ;D but thank u

Sponsored Links