March 28, 2024, 03:16:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for arrow pushing mechanism of glucose oxidase, please *delete me*  (Read 4347 times)

Offline zs3889

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I can't seem to find the mechanism  for glucose oxidase anywhere. It's an enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of glucose to gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide. If you happen to know the mechanism, or have a book that has detailed mechanism for this enzyme, please let me know!

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Looking for arrow pushing mechanism of glucose oxidase, please *delete me*
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
Do any of the references on this page, if you can find them, have the mechanism you need?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_oxidase
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline zs3889

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:06 AM »
Do any of the references on this page, if you can find them, have the mechanism you need?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_oxidase

Yeah I looked it up on wikipedia before and checked all the references, but no luck  :(

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
At least as of 1999, the mechanism was still being studied:  Klinman and coworkers, Biochemistry 1999, 38, 8572-8581.

Offline zs3889

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
At least as of 1999, the mechanism was still being studied:  Klinman and coworkers, Biochemistry 1999, 38, 8572-8581.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I found this paper too, but the problem is that it's 15 years ago...I need this for a grad-level presentation, I think I need to have something better than that haha! It's strange that it's so hard to find the mechanism of this enzyme, not like it's super uncommon..

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »
What references does the book cite?  The authors of that reference, what have they been working on for the past 15 years?  That will give you an answer you can use.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
zs3889,

Why not use a search engine such as Pubmed, and find the articles that cite the one from 1999?  Or you could just do a search using Dr. Kliman's name (she has coauthored additional papers on the subject since then).  She is a very highly respected enzymologist, and her use of kinetic isotope effects is worth one's time to understand.  Your reply struck me as odd in more than one way:  If the mechanism were entirely settled, then there would be no reason to write any more papers on it.  The fact that the mechanism is still under study makes it a better subject for a graduate presentation than if there were no questions remaining IMO.  For some background on flavoprotein oxidases, Frey and Hegeman's textbook on enzymology has about 12 pages.  It might also be helpful to consider that oxygen is a triplet when one writes a mechanism.

Sponsored Links