April 25, 2024, 08:36:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Annoying Ebola Conspiracy Question  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Misant777

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Annoying Ebola Conspiracy Question
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »
Hey there,

I'm sorry to post something so stupid here, but there's an aspect of this that I'd like to get a clear, concise answer to if at all possible. It's regarding this supposed patent on the "EboBun" variant. The patent information cited in the the whacko page below....

[edit: link deleted]

Is here: https://www.google.com/patents/CA2741523A1

The particular whacko who's posting this junk says:

"This is not the exact strain that is currently infecting people but they [the US gov] are stating that any form of the virus that at least shares 70% of their patent is their property. This is also clearly stated in the documents. those "individuals" (patent applicants) work for the government and under listed applicants it CLEARLY states The Government Of The United States Of America As Represented By The Sec Retary, Department Of Health & Human Services, Center For Disease Control"

So, what are your takes on this patent? Is this actually a case of government trying to patent ebola, or, what? What are the real world implications of this?

Input from you knowledgeable folks would be very appreciated.

Thank you! :)

/M
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:51:38 AM by Borek »

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Annoying Ebola Conspiracy Question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »
I am curious
How many other forums did you post this question?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:01:24 AM »
Sorry, link deleted - we won't help spread nonsensical conspiracy theories.

I guess this is just one of the problems with allowing patenting genes/genomes. That ebola was being researched is obvious - if not for other reasons, it was always considered a possible biological weapon. Decoding the genome is an obvious step when dealing with the viruses. Patenting it - while IMHO doesn't make sense - is allowed by the patent policy. It was just a matter of time when such a situation will arose.

IMHO it is one of these cases where we have to deal with stupid consequences of stupid legal decisions driven by greed. Call it an emergent property of capitalism.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »
I can't see the link, but if it is a disclosure with an application and an advance of knowledge and is a result which is not predictable by the expert then it may well invalidate any other claims as it is in the public domain.
When I was working we always suffered from a particular individual who would study the Pharma industry and patent his "advances" to try and obtain royalties. This was a few years ago now and for some reason he stopped. Perhaps there is a conspiracy there somewhere?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links