April 29, 2024, 11:04:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Whats up chemists, need some help.  (Read 3939 times)

Sozzi

Whats up chemists, need some help.
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:23:08 PM »
Hello, I don't want to pollute the forums so I posted here. I'm new here and unfortunately I have no chemistry skills whatsoever. I'm actually a civil engineer but also a merchant.

My next product of interest is a raw chemical powder used for experimental in vitro testing. The purity of the product has to be >=99%. When I asked the company (the one who I will import from) if they can attest the purity of the product they sent me hplc, lcms and nmr analysis via pdf files. Of course I don't understand any of those, and I have to hire a chemist to help me out.

The question is: What kind of chemist should I look for? I need to test the product quality after it arrives too, so how hard will it be to arrange something like that? Chemistry is great but if you don't know anything like me it is quite frustrating.
Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Whats up chemists, need some help.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
You need an analytical chemist.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sozzi

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
You need an analytical chemist.
Thanks you Daniel for the reply, do you know if those tests can be performed in a general lab or does it need specialized not everyday equipment so to speak?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
What am I missing? You wrote you already have the analysis results, you just need someone to look over them and tell you what they mean. For that you don't a lab.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sozzi

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:47:10 PM »
What am I missing? You wrote you already have the analysis results, you just need someone to look over them and tell you what they mean. For that you don't a lab.
When working with oversea companies you have to be sure they're providing the expected quality, what unfortunately often means testing the product yourself, at least once in a while.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »
If so, to check if what they have sent you is OK you need an analytical lab with HPLC and/or LCMS. NMR is used mostly for structure identification, it won't tell you much about purity.

Not sure what the procedures are for testing the substance, can be they are somehow defined. If not, IMHO just recording one the two (HPLC, LCMS) and comparing with the data sent as a reference should tell if the product is OK.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sozzi

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
If so, to check if what they have sent you is OK you need an analytical lab with HPLC and/or LCMS. NMR is used mostly for structure identification, it won't tell you much about purity.

Not sure what the procedures are for testing the substance, can be they are somehow defined. If not, IMHO just recording one the two (HPLC, LCMS) and comparing with the data sent as a reference should tell if the product is OK.
Borek thank you for the info, really appreciated. If you can send me a pm please so that you can take a look at the substances and give me your opinion about the testing. I really have nothing to give back here, since I am not a chemist, but it would be great if you could. Cheers.

Sponsored Links