March 28, 2024, 12:23:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: We all know Iron is in the Earth's core?  (Read 13768 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
We all know Iron is in the Earth's core?
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:05:48 PM »
We all know that the Earth's core is mostly Iron. This explains why we have a magnetic pole in the first place. What is not so clear is whether this Iron has been oxidized to Fe3+ or Fe2+, or whether more strangely it has not been oxidized by O2 and exists as metallic Iron. Current research leads to a metallic Iron core, you can read more about it here: http://www.nature.com/nature/links/040325/040325-6.html
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
Re:We all know Iron is in the Earth's core?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 11:54:08 PM »
What I've always wonder is why isn't the core all liquidy?  I mean maybe I can guess some of the reasons but even still, wouldn't contact with molten rock melt it over time... or wasn't it liquid to begin with?
I've got nothin'

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:We all know Iron is in the Earth's core?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 06:22:47 PM »
What I've always wonder is why isn't the core all liquidy?  I mean maybe I can guess some of the reasons but even still, wouldn't contact with molten rock melt it over time... or wasn't it liquid to begin with?

Well, just think of all the pressure down there in the core of the Earth.  At high pressure, the iron really couldn't exist as a liquid.  The forces acting on it would force the liquid into becoming a solid.  (Kind of like if you compress CO2 enough, it becomes dry ice).  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links