Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

We all know Iron is in the Earth's core?

(1/1)

Mitch:
We all know that the Earth's core is mostly Iron. This explains why we have a magnetic pole in the first place. What is not so clear is whether this Iron has been oxidized to Fe3+ or Fe2+, or whether more strangely it has not been oxidized by O2 and exists as metallic Iron. Current research leads to a metallic Iron core, you can read more about it here: http://www.nature.com/nature/links/040325/040325-6.html

gregpawin:
What I've always wonder is why isn't the core all liquidy?  I mean maybe I can guess some of the reasons but even still, wouldn't contact with molten rock melt it over time... or wasn't it liquid to begin with?

jdurg:

--- Quote from: gregpawin on March 24, 2004, 11:54:08 PM ---What I've always wonder is why isn't the core all liquidy?  I mean maybe I can guess some of the reasons but even still, wouldn't contact with molten rock melt it over time... or wasn't it liquid to begin with?

--- End quote ---

Well, just think of all the pressure down there in the core of the Earth.  At high pressure, the iron really couldn't exist as a liquid.  The forces acting on it would force the liquid into becoming a solid.  (Kind of like if you compress CO2 enough, it becomes dry ice).  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version