March 28, 2024, 01:32:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Definition of Chemical Processes  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Definition of Chemical Processes
« on: July 23, 2004, 05:37:53 AM »
I can't find proper definition of the following terms on Google and other search engine.

1. Lauric Fractionation
2. Palmitic Fractionation.

Fractionation is defined as the controlled crystallization and separation techniques involving the use of approved solvents, detergents or simply cold dry pressing, to separate hard and soft fractions of a fat. Such processes are often employed in the production of "winterized" oils, high stability frying oils and cocoa butter alternative fats.

FYI, winterization process removes naturally occurring high-melting solids (triglycerides) or high- melting solids formed during partial hydrogenation, from an oil. This is accomplished by holding it at the reduced temperature whilst crystallization of solid fats occurs. The solid portion is then filtered out, leaving an oil which has greater resistance to crystallization or "graining" at lower temperatures.

Does (1) & (2) refer to fractionation of Lauric & Palmitic fats or the fractionation process uses Lauric & Palmitic solvents in the chemical process respectively?

Please enlighten. Thank you very much

:animatedwink:
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Definition of Chemical Processes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:49:26 PM »
I wonder if the just refer to fractional crystallization with lauric or palmitic acid.

I don't really know though, they aren't in my chemical dictionary.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Definition of Chemical Processes
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 12:29:08 AM »
I can't find their definitions too in the Oxford Chemistry Dictionary.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links